Exclusive Interview With Mike Stud, YouTube Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Across college campuses, you can hear Mike Stud blasting through the speakers miles away.  There’s no doubt his tracks are the favorite of every partier out there- they’re relatable, upbeat, and fresh.  With meaning behind every lyric, Mike Stud is proving he’s the future of the music industry combining styles of artists like Jay-Z and Big Sean.  But music isn’t his only talent.  Mike Stud received a full athletic scholarship to play baseball at Duke University and was on course to play professionally until he endured a game-changing injury.  Through everything, he stayed positive, and eventually began making music.  Now, Stud and his crew are traveling to different cities, making memories everywhere they go.  As seen through their webisode series Tourings Boring, touring is always a crazy adventure.  After his concert in Madison, I was able to ask him a couple questions.  But just a warning: you may fall in love if you read any further!

What are your main influences in music and how has it changed since childhood?

It’s funny- different from most artists, I was never a musician. I was a baseball player, so most of my influences are just artists that I was fans of like Jay-Z and Biggie.  I love hip-hop but I listen to everything. After I got hurt [in baseball] I started making music. I’d say my biggest influences are the new school dudes like Drake and Big Sean and those type of people cause I really like what they say in their music and I like their style. It obviously rubs off in my music a bit. So I don’t really have a crazy influence because I wasn’t really a musician my whole life. 

You used to be a baseball player at Duke University until you were injured.  What is your advice to people who have gone through life-changing experiences like you did?

Honestly, it’s just to stay positive cause I was so upset about it and bitter.  It kinda happened out of nowhere.  I was about to go on to a professional level and then I got hurt but I stayed positive- I really did.  That’s why this happened.  It was really a shot in the dark and it happened kinda by accident really but it’s cool how it worked out.  I’ll never take it for granted.  If your major changes or if you transfer or anything in life if you stay positive good things will happen. 

Have you ever been to Madison?

No this is my first time.

Have you ever heard anything about Madison before?

No, I’ve heard shit.  My agent told me I was coming here so I announced it on Twitter and I’m friends with Cal and those dudes from Timeflies and they said it was really fun here.  They’ve done a bunch of shows here and they loved it so it was fun for me to finally experience it.  I had a blast.  I didn’t know I had fans out here; this is new but it’s fun. 

What’s it like being on tour and are there any crazy fans?

Tour is nuts.  We try to sum it up on Tour’s Boring which is a webisode series that we have.  We put it in a nutshell.  We party.  We party with the fans. No seriously, we have a good time.  That’s what I like to do that’s different.  Most artists leave.  I like to stay and actually have a good time. 

Last question: Your remix of “Boyfriend” is a little different from Bieber’s. Are you single? ;)

I am. It’s my choice though, there’s like a couple of girls, actually one in particular that I liked but it’s just so hard. Ya know, you’re on tour in forty cities and it’s not fair to the girl.  You’re gone and you’re not able to talk that much. I understand that.  I had a girlfriend in college for a bit but…I’m single.  I’m trying to get some- what do they call them?  Sconnie girls? Yeah, I’m trying to get some Sconnie girls. 

I think I could find a couple volunteers, Sconnie girls or not. 

Listen to his “Boyfriend” Remix here!

Mike Stud is such a sweetheart, he signed “Her Campus Rocks!” on our very own Campus Celebrity writer Tricia Fishbune’s arm!

Tricia Fishbune is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She plans on majoring in Communication Arts, and eventually wants to work in the entertainment industry in either journalism or public relations. Aside from writing, she loves to hang out with friends, meet new people, travel, exercise, and try new things.