Emily Kesner, Tour Guide Supervisor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How did you become involved with UW-Madison Visitor & Information Programs and become a tour guide supervisor? 
I heard about the job my freshman year – I knew someone who was a tour guide and decided to apply. I had a hard time choosing where to go to college and thought that helping other students with their decision — and sharing why I love Madison — would be a perfectly fitting job for me. 

After a year and a half with the program, I was looking for a new challenge and way to mix up my work, so I applied to be a supervisor within the program. As part of that, I help train and observe guides and run some logistics of the program (we have a staff of about 40 undergraduates who work as campus tour guides). 

What’s the most difficult aspect of your job?
I’d say that mostly our wonderful Wisconsin weather makes things interesting, since most tours are outside and the typical route takes just over an hour and a half! 

What’s the most rewarding aspect of your job?
I absolutely love when high school students tell met they have decided to come here because of my tour! It never gets old, even after three years as a tour guide.

What the most interesting fact you have learned about the University through this experience?
I’m full of random facts about the university! It’s become kind of a running joke with my friends. Science Hall is our resident haunted house on campus, the foot of the statute of Abe Lincoln on Bascom Hill is exactly one mile from the state capitol, the Carillon Bell Tower outside of Social Sciences is the 25th largest instrument in North America…I could continue for a while.