galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dating Using DataMatch: UW-Madison Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Everyone’s heard of popular dating apps such as Tinder and Bumble, but this year a team of Wisconsin students brought a new app, DataMatch, to the UW-Madison campus!

Started by the Harvard Computer Society in 1994, DataMatch began as a Harvard Valentine’s Day tradition. It became widely popular there and now has begun to make a hilarious mark on schools across the country. It has since spread to fourteen other schools, including UW-Madison. 

UW students Alex Mahnke, Benny Pekala, Connor Curnin, Cristian Espinoza, Darby Schumacher, Frank Kulaszewicz, Jade Lovelien, Jason Carrington, Justin Kloehnand and Mina Sprengeler worked together to bring this service to campus this year. Even though the service was new to the university, over 2,100 students signed up for DataMatch.

Using a slew of sassy and satirical survey questions, DataMatch uses a secret algorithm to match you with people who picked similar answers. Once you’ve been matched, the site gives you coupons for restaurants and businesses in the local area. Free food AND free love, where could you go wrong?

While you can only sign up for DataMatch prior to Valentine’s Day, hopefully, the Madison team will continue this new tradition and bring back the site next year! Next February ditch Tinder for a few days and meet the (potential) love of your life on DataMatch.

Rachel Hietpas

Wisconsin '20

Rachel is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is double majoring in political science and economics, and hopes to attend law school after her bachelors degree. Her passions include reading, drinking coffee, and dog-watching!
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!