The Conflict in the Congo: What UW Students Can Do to Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This past Friday, Memorial Union was filled with Congolese dancing, inspirational stories, and leaders of one of the world’s most pressing issues. UW hosted the Conflict-Free Campus Initiative Kick-Off event, part of the Raise Hope for the Congo campaign that was created by the Enough! Project. JD Steir, a Wisconsin alum and manager of the Raise Hope for the Congo Campaign, spoke to attendees about his own experiences in the Congo, and what UW students can do to stop the deadliest war since World War II from continuing.

The Amnesty International UW Chapter will be implementing the Conflict-Free Campus Initiative here in Madison, by encouraging university officials and stakeholders to ensure that minerals for technology purchases are from conflict-free mines. If technology companies purchase conflict-free minerals, the Congolese armed groups and military who control these mines cannot use the profits of trading minerals to continue their brutal violence within the Congo, which has already claimed the lives of 5.4 million people.

The Kick-Off Event on Friday was the first step made by our campus to combat this issue by calling upon students to join the Campus-Free initiative. UW will be the first big 10 school to implement this initiative, and take a stand against violence in the Congo. Like the Amnesty International-UW Chapter on Facebook, and learn how you can join the movement!

Email amnestyinternational.uwmadison@gmail.com to get involved!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com