Cold to cool: making winter fashionable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A twenty minute walk to class, in the snow, at eight in the morning; it’s difficult to be fashionable when all you want to do is be warm and go back to bed. Obviously during the winter, students have to wear a jacket to stay warm, but there are certain things you, a fashionista stuck in this freezing state, can do to stay warm and stay fashionable. 

This year neon colors are really in. Although a neon jacket may be too much bright color, you can add neon colors through gloves or hats. This will get you noticed while still looking fashionable and classy. 

If you want to make a fashion statement inside the classroom, a great way to do this is by wearing many bracelets of all different types on the same wrist. This is a big trend that has already started in New York and is making its way over to our cold state.

During the winter months in Wisconsin it is necessary to understand the use of one word: layering. In these cold months it is all about layering. You can even wear a cute summer tank in the wintertime by utilizing layering. A great way to do this is by layering a cute flannel under a sweater or blazer all over your summer tank. Your jacket will cover up this look when you are outside, but as soon as you walk into class you can take off your jacket and make a bold statement while still staying warm.

One main thing girls love in Madison during the winter is Ugg boots. I understand the necessity for warm boots in the wintertime, but instead of wearing Uggs everyday, switch it up. You can wear fashionable boots (without a heel) easily in the winter, making your outfit immediately look more sleek. If you are worried your feet will get cold, put on multiple layers of socks. Changing up the boots you wear in the wintertime can change your entire outfit and give you an entire new fashionista look. 

A girl living in Madison during the winter months usually has one goal on those early cold days: to stay comfy and warm. There is an easy solution to do this fashionably instead of wearing the usual high school t-shirt and cross-country sweatpants. A great way to keep it comfy yet classy is by wearing leggings and a cute longer, baggier sweater. It’s easy to find a sweater with a great design on it, funky plaids or cute stripes. With this look you can add a bold pair of boots.  

The main things you need to remember are accessories, neon colors, lots of bracelets, layering, boots (other than Uggs), and keeping it comfy with a cute sweater and leggings. With these simple tips you can turn this cold winter into a cool and fashionable one.