This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Because they are not the same

It is a popular idea, especially amongst men, that catcalling is an appropriate response to seeing someone attractive. They may make a sexual comment, whistle, or yell to make this known. Although it may be intended as a “compliment,” it is nothing more than sexual harassment. 

Those who defend catcalling often claim that their comments are forms of compliments. Women should feel good that a stranger thinks they’re attractive, right? There is nothing to feel good about when a stranger or group of people glares and smirks at you as you walk past them. This is especially true when you know what they are thinking about and don’t know what they’re going to do about it. Catcalling is a harmful and terrifying experience for women. Compliments originate from friends or family members. If a stranger does compliment you, it’s usually something small, maybe about your hair or outfit. Catcalling is harassment from a stranger that comes with a sexual, unsolicited undertone; some may even come with a violent implication. Therefore, they are not the same. It can be hard for many to see where these lines are and that is where a lot of the issues surrounding this topic come from. It’s hard to distinctly and explicitly draw these lines as different people have different ideas of what a compliment and harassment look like.

Ideally, the society we live in revolves around the idea that everyone is equal, no matter race, gender, size or age. However, this concept does not always translate perfectly into the natural world. Despite best efforts, there are always people who do not believe in or support the “everyone is equal” idea, or at least do not act like it. There is a relationship between catcalling and the status of women in our society. Would you ever whistle or say something invasive to your boss or someone you respected? Probably not. Those who catcall are blatantly disrespecting their victims. Their intent to embarrass, shame, and minimize women shows where their victims fall on their personal respect hierarchy; typical ignorance of their comments seems to only further encourage their behavior. Victims are often fearful of confrontation because they do not know what the other person is capable of. Since the perpetrators know the probability of repercussion is low, they continue this behavior. The continuation becomes a vicious cycle that sees no end. 

Despite many efforts to fix this issue, truly solving the problem would require solutions that are almost impossible to achieve. Most catcalling men have a core belief that they are above women and no law or rules will change that; there needs to be fundamental, moral change that allows people to see that this behavior and disrespect is wrong. 

Amelia Jayara

Wisconsin '23

Hi, my name Amelia Jayara! I am sophomore at UW-Madison studying Communication Science & Disorders and Linguistics . I am originally from Chicago but I love Madison. I can't wait to write about the my experience and the things I love!