Campus Profile: Gabby Gigot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celebrity, Gabby Gigot! Gabby is Head Coordinator of a co-ed hip-hop crew on campus, Hypnotiq.

Major: English with a Dance Certificate

Year: Senior

Hometown: Green Bay, Wisconsin

Can you tell us about Hypnotiq?

Hypnotiq is a co-ed hip-hop crew based at UW-Madison’s campus. We have members from not only UW-Madison, but from Edgewood and MATC as well! We’re completely student-led and student-organized, which provides members with the opportunity to hold leadership positions and choreograph for the crew. We perform at various events on- and off-campus and hold free monthly workshops to anyone who is interested. A member from Hypnotiq always teaches a short combination at these events. In addition to all of this, we have a huge showcase open to the public at the end of the year. It’s a ton of work but so much fun.

Hypnotiq offers monthly workshops

How much time commitment is the group?

We practice twice a week, for a total of 5 hours. On top of that, we do a variety of performances throughout the year.

What do your typical practices and performances look like?

Our practices can vary greatly depending on the routine we’re currently working on because they’re taught by a different choreographer from the crew. We learn about 4 routines per semester, and all of them are shown in our annual showcase. As for our practices, we perform at a wide range of locations, from sporting events and student org’s showcases to dance clubs like Plan B and Liquid. We’ve had the opportunity to dance at some really cool venues these past few years!

Hypnotiq performed at The Madhatter’s fall show last year.

Tell us about your experience with Hypnotiq.

Trying out for Hypnotiq my freshman year was a very spontaneous decision. A few friends from my dorm told me they were going to try out, so I decided to give it a go. It is the best decision I’ve made in my 3-plus years at UW-Madison. This team has helped me meet some of the funniest, coolest, most talented people — all while helping me build my confidence. I never could’ve imagined myself as the Head Coordinator of a hip-hop dance crew freshman year. Now, as Head Coordinator of the team (aka. president), I basically keep the crew going, make the final decisions, manage the executive board and deal with any other important president-like duties.

What’s your favorite part of being involved with the group?

Aside from the amazing choreography and performance opportunities, I love the team bonding experience more than anything. It’s great to be surrounded by people who share the same passion as me. I can always count on them to bust a move with me at the bars without thinking twice or feeling embarrassed.

If you could shake your butt to any song, what would it be?

“Conceited” by Remy Ma is the perfect song for any single lady to get down to while getting ready or pre-gaming.

Which Hypnotiq routine has been your favorite?

My favorite routine to perform was from my freshman year. It was “Wrecking Ball,” choreographed by Courtney Ransom. The first song in the routine was the Caked Up remix of Wrecking Ball, and I remember feeling like a total badass because Courtney’s choreography was so hard-hitting — there were lots of booty-popping.

What’s your signature dance move?

I don’t think anyone can go wrong with a classic, subtle twerk. 2017 is all about the booty.

How can someone get involved?

Attend our monthly, free workshops at the SAC and come check out our free showcase in April! Otherwise, we hold tryouts every September.

Hypnotiq performing at one of their past showcases.

To see Gabby and the rest of Hypnotiq in action, you can like them on Facebook and follow them on Instagram!

Food lover - dance enthusiast - professional napper.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!