Campus Celebrities: Savana Lipps and Elizabeth Travis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s campus celebrities have been working incredibly hard for a cause that’s near and dear to their hearts. Savana and Elizabeth formed a student org together here on campus this past fall called STEP. These ladies are extremely passionate about what they do and were kind enough to let me ask them a few questions about it.

Names: Savana Lipps and Elizabeth Travis

Years: Freshmen

Majors: Both Biology majors

What are you involved in on campus?

Savana: Greek life (Kappa Alpha Theta), L&S Honors Program, She’s the First

Elizabeth: Greek life (Gamma Phi Beta), American Medical Student Association (AMSA)

What exactly is STEP?

Students to End Parkinson’s (STEP) is a student founded and run organization here at UW-Madison. Our main goals are to raise money to fund Parkinson’s research to better the lives of those currently diagnosed (particularly the National Parkinson’s Foundation and Michael J. Fox Foundation), educate the general public about the disease, and provide support for those who are impacted by the disease in some way.

What was the process like trying to start an org here on campus?

Starting a student organization was no easy feat. First, we had to compose a multi-page constitution including information regarding financial details, board and officer positions, highly specific goals and purposes of the organization and general assembly arrangements. Also, we had to go through training that involved two separate sessions to gain certification. Most importantly, it was critical we gained support and recruited members. In order to do so, we networked through current relationships and spread the word, which led to an overwhelming amount of support and motivation for people to participate.

What inspired you to start STEP and why is it important to you?

Savana: Elizabeth’s dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s Disease about two years ago. It has not only been hard on him, but also his family. Beginning college seemed like the perfect time to start something new and meaningful with so many opportunities. We came up with the idea together during one of our infamous late-night life talks (we are both roommates and good friends). Since then, we have worked hard to turn STEP into something just as meaningful to others. 

Elizabeth: STEP is important to us because it originated from such a personal and emotional event. Also, it is the perfect way for students to get involved on campus, while supporting a good cause.

What are your goals for this organization?

Our main goals are raising money for Parkinson’s research, educating others about the disease, and supporting those who are directly or indirectly impacted by it. Additionally, we want the members of STEP to establish social and volunteering connections with one another that may inspire them to find something they are passionate about and make a difference in the future.

What events are coming up that students should know about?

We are currently planning our upcoming event which will be an existing running series called Parkinson’s Half Marathon and 5k on April 16th, 2016. This event is hosted by the Wisconsin Chapter of the American Parkinson’s Disease Associate. Our org and friends will participate together in this event in order to raise money for Parkinson’s.

How can other students get involved?

We are a new student org as of this year and would love more student involvement! For more info about STEP and how to join, visit https://steptowardacure.org/ or email steptowardacure@gmail.com to be added to our member list. Also, like us on Facebook at Students to End Parkinson’s.

Hallie Heath

Wisconsin '18

Hi guys, I'm Hallie! I'm now graduated from undergrad and law school at UW-Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!