Life > Experiences

Calling All Graduating Seniors—Let’s Talk About Last Semester Scaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Stress hits different right now, but we can overcome it

I’m graduating in December, which is beyond exciting in and of itself! I am proud, educated and ready to move forward from this chapter of my life. My undergraduate years have certainly been a learning journey full of valuable lessons and challenges I will never forget, and maybe that’s why it feels like it’s just time: time to graduate and put what I’ve learned to the test in this world.

But, be that as it may, I’m terrified and stressed because I feel largely unprepared in some ways. Realistically, I’m sure most of my nerves are quite common among graduating seniors, but it’s easy to think you’re the only one going through it when everyone around you seems to have all their ducks in a row. It’s important for me to remember that I’m only seeing the best parts of what my peers share in class. To some extent, we’re probably all scared to be swimming in unfamiliar waters soon, so what better time than now to talk about it?

Firstly, I’d like to say that someone should turn the heat down on this pressure cooker because the pressure. Is. ON. Lately, I’ve been experiencing a new kind of stress that I haven’t felt before in college; I’ll call her “professional stress” (which I will explain later). In terms of schooling, the large majority of my worries prior to senior year have been “academic stress”—focusing on grades, making it to class on time, my cumulative GPA, what courses I’m taking next semester and so on. I can’t say the same for senior year, and especially this last semester.

This semester has basically been compiling the knowledge that I’ve gained throughout my undergrad and applying it in more conceptual and realistic ways—ways in which I can utilize what I’ve learned to help me in my professional career. In other words, I am doing the things that will lead me towards success once I graduate, and that’s great! Maybe it has to do with the fact that I’m a fall graduate—so I had three months of summer where my life wasn’t revolving around school and then I threw myself back in for the four remaining months—but I feel bombarded by all the professional development insight being thrown my way. Therefore, I feel “professional stress.”

There is so much talk about developing our LinkedIn, digital footprint, resumes and cover letters, consistently job searching and networking to connect with professionals that I am caught in this ongoing cycle of overwhelming inspiration followed by burn out. For example, we’ll talk about job searching and resumes in class for the week and then I’ll feel extremely inspired. However, once I start job searching I get scared, anxious and lose confidence because, a) I don’t know where to start looking and when to stop, b) I don’t seem to be qualified enough for anything, c) job descriptions just aren’t speaking to me and so many other factors that can lead to an utter breakdown.

To add a disclaimer, this is no fault of my professors or the way they teach, but I am saying that this season of life is a lot to take in no matter where you’re at professionally. It’s easy and normal to get overwhelmed when thinking about something as exciting as graduation and moving onto a new chapter of life. If you’re a senior like me who started college immediately after high school, there has never been a time in life without school as an overarching priority. Even during summer and winter breaks, school exists in the back of our minds. We are actively doing things to prepare: meeting with advisors, scheduling courses and keeping up with our school email, to name a few. So, it makes sense that I am scared of the unexpected and unknown; it’s only human of me.

Although this semester can feel intimidating, it is full of hope and excitement and doesn’t have to weigh me down if I don’t let it. I want to share some tips that have worked for me in hopes that they help you, too.

Focus on all the amazing work you’ve accomplished throughout your academic career.

I have to do a lot of this for my classes right now. I’ll be showcasing my big projects, reports and papers for potential employers to see. Looking back on all that I’ve learned and applied feels so rewarding and reminds me what I am capable of, so I encourage you to do this too! It’s a win-win for you.

Cultivate a support system of people you love and trust.

These are the people who can help pull you out of intrusive and false thoughts about yourself. For example, the experience I shared about job searching left me feeling unworthy, incapable and defeated. Instead of sulking in that for too long, I went to my mom and talked to her about the ways I was feeling. She spoke goodness over me, reminding me who I am. Just talking to someone and leaning on your support system works wonders for your mental health.

Picture yourself at graduation.

This sounds kind of corny, but I didn’t realize how fun it is until my cap and gown came in the mail the other day. When I tried them on, let me tell you—I felt powerful. Now, when I feel discouraged or overwhelmed, I just picture myself walking across the stage in that cap and gown and it brings a big smile to my face.

There is no doubt that senior year is hard in unprecedented ways. You’re allowed to feel all the feelings—fearful, overwhelmed, uncertain, alone, sad, frustrated—as long as you don’t let them consume you. Remember who you are and how far you’ve come. Use the techniques that I’ve shared to help get out of any ruts you feel stuck in. The finish line is so close! You got this, grad.

Hope Nelson

Wisconsin '22

Hi! I'm a senior at UW-Madison majoring in Life Sciences Communication. My true passion lies in educating and engaging with others in conversation about diet culture. If you need me, you can find me listening to The Weeknd, petting dogs, or eating a generous bowl of moose tracks ice cream.