This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Bullet Journaling for the Non-Artsy Girls

A bullet journal is a  journal that is completely empty and instead of the usual lined format, is dotted. You’ve probably seen those artsy TikToks and Pinterest pages about decorating fun pages, but here’s a hint: You don’t actually have to be artistic! I do not consider myself an artist at all, but I recently bought a journal from the lovely Archer & Olive, so that I could get in the habit of having a nightly routine where I record how my day went. Journaling is great for mental health, so if you’re looking to get into it and aren’t sure where to start, here are some pages I recommend including in your bullet journal that are friendly for all you non-artsy girlies like me:

1. Monthly Calendar

This is a must – it’s a journal. However, it’s much easier than it sounds. It’s literally just using a ruler to draw a bunch of straight lines – mine honestly looks somewhat like the picture above but without the drawings or the calligraphy. I use this space to jot down any specific events coming up like birthdays, weekend work shifts, seeing family, etc. I also include a small notes section underneath the calendar where I might put a longer event that I can’t fit in a little rectangle. For example, this month I wrote that I have to pick my cousin up from the airport because that was a little longer and couldn’t fit in the box.

2. Mood Tracker/Habit Tracker

You can either make one mood tracker for the whole year and put it at the beginning of your journal, or you can make one for each month. I made mine for the whole year, with a rectangular grid where there are 12 months labeled at the top, and dates 1-31 along the side for each day. I like having it all in one place, but there are definitely more creative options that are not too difficult for the artistically challenged like myself if you choose to do it monthly instead. You also don’t have to track your mood if you don’t want to; many people track habits like how much money you spend each day, how much water you drink, how long you sleep, etc. I suggest doing whatever you know you want to work on – for me, it’s my spending and how much water I drink – and make a monthly page to keep track of that.

3. Affirmations

I recommend having at least 1-2 pages per month for cute quotes or affirmations or at least including them somewhere in your journal. They can serve as random uplifting messages when you flip through your journal throughout the day, and it reminds you of the positives that you have pointed out, so it’s more personal. I have five affirmations per month in mine as well as a “Gratitude Notes” section, which is where I write things I feel particularly grateful for in that moment. I think it’s great to get in the habit of writing positive things whether it’s about yourself, your environment or life in general because the more you remind yourself, the more it will begin to sink in.

4. To-Do List

I don’t do this because I know I won’t keep up with it, but if you want to keep track of the things you have to get done like assignments or chores, I definitely recommend a page or two for that. You can include a “to-do” section or a shopping list section where you can put miscellaneous things you need to do that month. The picture is a fairly simple spread for the holiday season, but obviously, you can design it to match whatever month you’re making it for.

5. Free-Write/Recap

Lastly, I recommend a couple of pages just in case you feel like free-writing, whether it’s for a time you feel especially overwhelmed or you need to make a note of something really quick. I like to use this space for when I get anxious and my thoughts are spiraling. Usually, I have another notebook I like to write in more because I don’t worry about how much space I’m using as much, but in a pinch, this can be a great tool to help manage some anxiety. If you don’t love that idea, you can do a “Month Recap,” where you write your highs and lows of the month and what you’re looking forward to in the coming months.

These are just a few ideas; you can choose to include as much or as little from this list, but hopefully, if anything, it has inspired your own ideas. You do not have to be artistic to bullet journal if you don’t want to be, but you can always try to decorate your journal and make it your own. The main thing is having your journal be a safe space for you to organize your thoughts and be more mindful throughout the day. Happy Journaling!

Sim Gandhi

Wisconsin '23

Sim is a senior majoring in Psychology with Certificates in Digital Studies and Design Strategy at UW-Madison. Professionally, she wants to employ her creativity and pursue a career in the world of advertising and social media. In her free time, Sim loves to sip on smoothies, pet her bunny and binge TV shows!