This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Every day, consumers are overwhelmed with the amount of brands being marketed to them, and often don’t even know the significance behind those brands. Quite generally, it is the trust consumers have given to a company that causes them to buy without a second consideration.

A great example of this is through everyone’s favorite technological creator… Apple. The consumers trust them so much, Apple was able to get away with creating this commercial. All this commercial does is shows us how creative consumers have been with the Apple logo. It implies, “Everyone else loves our products, and so will you.” When consumers walk into an Apple store, they are aware of what is about to be purchased, will be of high quality. It is this trust that compels them to make the purchase.

Let’s look at a company more relevant for Her Campus readers, Armani. Some pants are being sold at $600 dollars, as seen here. The material to price ratio is terrible, but people still save for years just to afford one pair. There is an economical goal surrounding the brand of Armani; to buy these pants, one must be of great wealth. Armani may make great clothes, but it is his exclusivity that makes us feel as if we are wearing a million dollars when we slip on a pair of his jeans.

Another designer to consider is Ralph Lauren. Back in 1972, he designed the world-famous, short sleeve pique shirt with the Polo logo. To this day, that logo holds a special place in the hearts of consumers. This logo is an example of the last feeling a brand can give to its consumer: a sense of belonging. His clothes make new buyers feel like they belong with all the other Ralph Lauren consumers. This is one of the most powerful meanings a brand can have on a consumer. In fact, Apple’s brand does this very well, too. There is a sense of community that comes with owning something else that everyone else owns, especially if it is at a high price.

Overall, brand buying creates trust, economic goals, and a sense of belonging. Consumers crave the feeling for all three– granting brands the magic ability to make any product of theirs appealing. However, if a consumer wants to shop smart, they shouldn’t buy into the idea of a brand, they should buy into the idea of themselves. Next time you shop, consider the effect a brand plays on you and ask yourself this, “Am I buying the brand, or am I buying something that I truly adore.”

Communication Arts and Computer Science at UW Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!