Best Horror Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

October is the time of year when the idea of watching endless amounts of scary movies is extremely appealing. If you’re like me, you struggle to find movies that are both scary and acceptable as a piece of film. As in, the movie has actual value and you want to be entertained instead of endlessly annoyed with the corny antics and not scared. Luckily, I have a list for you of the perfect movies to watch this October to get you in the Halloween mood!

1.The Exorcist

Since this movie was made in the 70s, the special effects aren’t as believable as the effects of the 21st century that we are accustomed to, but this movie is so entertaining and disturbing that you won’t even care.

2.The Shining

The fact that you have no idea what is going on is just frightening. I spent the entire movie with my hands close to my face in case I needed to cover my eyes. Redrum.

3.Psycho

Scary movie topic aside, Psycho is a classic. The fact that it’s scary is just a plus, and if you haven’t seen it, the ending will keep you thinking days afterwards.

4.Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I used to hate scary movies. After watching The Ring in fourth grade (ironically, number 7 on this list), I couldn’t be in the same house as a scary movie. When I got over that, this was the first horror film I watched and afterwards I had to watch several hours of Friends to combat the effects of having watched TCM. Take that with a grain of salt.

5.The Sixth Sense

Like Psycho, The Sixth Sense is just a fantastic movie overall. Get ready for the the king of all twist endings.

6.Silence of the Lambs

I know that this is more of a thriller than a horror film, but I just don’t care. You will be sitting on the edge of your seat the whole time.

7.The Ring

I’m still scared.

Get the popcorn and the blanket and settle in for the perfect scary movie night!

Sophomore at UW Madison from Los Angeles, California.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com