This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Does bereal ever catch you during your worst two minutes of the day when you’re in bed, walking through gusty winds or looking crazy after a shower? Because I can say that it’s happened to me

There are 24 hours, 1440 minutes, and 86400 seconds in a day. However, bereal never fails to get me at the worst time of those 1440 minutes. I see a notification on my phone saying I have 2 minutes to take my bereal for the day, eliciting immediate distress. I’ve rarely been ready for this notification. Most of the time, I’ve been that friend you get that notification from that says they’ve posted three hours late. I can explain myself, though, because the situations I was in weren’t worth documenting. The top three worst situations I’ve been in were when I was in bed, trekking through intense winds and doing a post-shower reset. 

1) In bed

Starting on the more mild end of the worst moment, there have been a few instances when I’ve been in bed when the bereal goes off. This has been at times when I’ve woken up in the morning or before/after my daily naps. Being in bed isn’t an ideal situation for me to document for a number of reasons. First of all, my hair looks absolutely crazy from all the tossing and turning. Secondly, I live in Chadbourne Hall, and with the beds lofted up, I am incredibly close to the ceiling and can’t sit in bed. Keeping these two factors in mind, if I were to take a bereal in my bed, one angle would be of my bird’s nest of hair, and the other angle would be a close-up of the grainy Chad ceiling. 

2) Trekking through intense winds

This happened to me a couple of days ago when I was walking back from class. In one hand, I had a plastic bag with my Ginger Root box, and with my other hand, I was holding my jacket closed (don’t ask why I didn’t zip it because I couldn’t even tell you). Anyway, my hands were quite full, and the winds were strong, but my dorm was in plain sight. Then, I felt my watch buzz. I looked at my watch only to see that the bereal had gone off. I wanted to post on time for once, and I thought today would be the day, but the situation said otherwise. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and tried to take a picture. There were many problems with this. First of all, I was walking against the wind, which instantly brought many issues. My jacket was flying open, and my hair was going all over the place. Aside from that, I didn’t have a stable hold on my phone which led to many blurry pictures. After many attempts to take a decent picture, I decided that this wasn’t going to work, and that was the end of that. 

3) Post shower reset

In my opinion, this is the funniest story.I had just walked out of the shower, ready to do some skin and haircare. I decided that today would be a good day to put on a sheet mask while waiting for my hair to dry in my twisty turban. I had to keep the sheet mask on for 30 minutes. In the meantime, I decided to read. Twenty minutes into the face mask, my phone buzzed, and low and behold, a bereal notification. Mind you, it had been like two days since I downloaded the app, so I had been on top of it so far. Anyway, I opened bereal up and looked at myself. The twisty turban and sheet mask was really not a look to be posted for people to see. I was mortified looking at myself and seeing how scary of a sight that was. This was the first time I posted late. 

Bereal is a fun way to connect with your friends without some of the social media manipulation that comes with many other platforms. However, if I’m really being real, there are some points of my day that are just better kept to myself. 

Hareem Rauf

Wisconsin '25

I'm a sophomore at UW Madison studying Economics.