Astrology The Basics 3png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Astrology The Basics 3png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Image courtesy of Anaya Mitchell

Beginners Guide to Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

What was once a way to predict one’s course of life, has now become a way to figure out which coffee you are based on your sign. I’m talking about the age old study of astrology. Starting with the Babylonians, astrology was first invented 2,400 years ago. Astrology is much more than the day you were born, your personality and life path can be easily described by learning how each placement coordinates with each other. For the purpose of this article I’ll be focusing on each sign and how it presents itself in your Sun, Moon and Rising placements.

What’s sun, moon and rising????

Wonderful question! To put it simply those signs, also called “big three” can be described as: I am, I feel and I project. Your sun, what you most likely identify yourself as, is your identity, your true essence, your “I am.” Your moon determines how you feel and how you express emotions, your “I feel.” Finally, your rising determines how you present yourself to others and your immediate reaction, your “I project.” You can easily find out what you are using a free birth chart maker (I recommend Cafe Astrology). So, grab your chart and let’s learn a little bit about who you are!

Aries (March 21st-April 19th)

Hi fellow Aries suns and moons. As an Aries sun, you have a fiery nature which propels you to be number one but also love attention. You tend to be very energetic with large projects and in sexual relationships. With an Aries Moon, you likely love to be independent and tend to be very passionate but impulsive when it comes to what you feel. You can be easily hurt although quick to forgive and feel uncomfortable with emotional displays Finally with an Aries Rising, you are more of a do-er than a thinker. You are responsive, impatient and enthusiastic. You may walk very fast with your head forward and your directness can often come off as aggressive.

Taurus (April 20th-May 20th)

With a Taurus Sun, you’re grounded but when angry, you can seem like a “bull ready to charge” (surprise surprise your animal is a bull). You’re down to earth and love to be outside although you love to appreciate luxury and seek comfort in material needs. With a Taurus Moon, you have a need for security and comfort, your self esteem and possessions are linked. You know what you need and easily attract abundance. With a Taurus Rising, you likely are not a fan of change and have a slow, methodical approach to life. You also are fixed in your views and values and have a very stable personality.

Gemini (May 21st-June 20th)

Gemini Suns, you may be said to be quite curious and sociable. You’re flexible, adaptable and unlike your predecessor, Taurus, are very comfortable with change. Being the sign of twins, you are always aware of the opposing viewpoint and can shift rapidly depending on your mood. A Gemini Moon can cause you to be easily engaged in new things and can involve yourself in many tasks at the same time. You feel like you can study something briefly to understand it and often move from person to person gathering information. You experience personal worth by connecting with others, talking to them about problems and finding what makes them tick. Gemini Rising, you may be a very curious person and are a natural communicator. You also may come across as impatient as you live a fast paced life.

Cancer (June 21st-July 22nd)

Cancer suns, you’re a very emotionally active sign therefore, you develop emotional connections with others and do your best to nurture them. Keeping your home a stable place is key. Although you are concerned with action, you may only “act” when the moment feels right. Cancer moons, you may be the mom of the group as you have an innate need to nurture and protect. You are deeply affected by the environment you are in and how other people react. But be careful, you must not forget your own needs as you can often attract one who is emotionally needy. Cancer Risings, you are a very intuitive person and are close to your friends and family and may be a great help at home with cooking and cleaning.

Leo (July 23rd-August 22nd)

The self centered Leo Suns. Just kidding. You are motivated by the need to experience life from a place of fun, passion and self-expression. You feel the need to be organized and lead as you see yourself from a central point of view, but you motivate people to be the best. Leo Moons, you may be dramatic and fun loving and on an emotional level you’re generous and confident. You also have an innate sense of dignity and expect a level of respect from others. My fellow Leo Risings. You feel like you have your own unique way of doing things and have a strong sense of needing to be somebody important and respected. You feel like life needs to be enjoyed and in alot of ways, you are larger than life.

Virgo (August 23-September 22nd)

Virgo Suns, you are practical, grounded, and skilled and you seek to improve and refine whatever task at hand. Lists and details are where you thrive and often feel comfortable in a well-organized environment.You may come across as having a chaotic life but internally you know exactly what needs to be done. With a Virgo Moon, you may find you have an innate need to nurture yourself and others love the feeling of a well planned and well executed job. You feel most secure when things are tidy, structured and planned and keep your environment pure. Virgo Rising, you may be quite hard on yourself and are always willing to assist those in need. You may come off as overly critical and have a strong desire to take care of your body, including your diet.

Libra (September 23rd-October 22nd)

Libra Suns, you are motivated by finding balance and fairness in the world around you. In fact, you have an innate need to take action and when dealing with others you try to be the most objective although you are concerned with how others see you. With a Libra Moon, you have a deep need to maintain peace and harmony in your life as well as connecting with the world around you. Libra Risings, when making choices you consider all points of view and are quite the people pleaser. You may come off as very indecisive and you avoid stating what you really want.

Scorpio (October 23rd-November 21st)

The mysterious Scorpio Suns, you are complex with many layers of expressions. You’re associated with human desire and release, you tend to learn a lot about what it truly means to be human. Scorpio Moons, your emotional needs are intense therefore you may have grand reactions and may be very moody. You value close and honest connections. Scorpio Risings, you are likely to experience a series of obstacles in your life, but those should be taken as life lessons. Having a scorpio rising can be difficult but it causes you to be very charismatic and wise.

Sagittarius (November 22nd-December 21st)

Sagittarius Suns, for you life is best seen as a journey rather than a destination. You have an innate need for change, self expression and are very optimistic. Sagittarius Moons, you feel most at home when you are roaming free and love to travel knowing you can make a home anywhere in the world. Sagittarius Risings, you view every opportunity as an experience to learn and need to find your truth in your own terms.

Capricorn (December 22nd-January19th)

Capricorn Suns are focused on the tangible aspects of life, what can be seen, heard and felt. You may be known to be a hard worker and persevere. Capricorn Moons, you are responsible and serious, always feeling the need to take action. Capricorn Risings: you are patient, ambitious and mastering material resources is your main concern. Let yourself enjoy life, you can be too serious.

Aquarius (January 20th-February 18th)

Aquarius Suns, you express a need for individuality and always look for a practical solution. You tend to follow social norms but have a very large friend group. With an Aquarius Moon, you have something that separates you from everybody else being so unique and progressive. When you have a clear idea, it is unlikely that you will change it. Aquarius Rising, by looking at things with an objective perspective you find that you can have a clear sense of individuality. You are seen as a true humanitarian.

Pisces (February 19th-March 20th)

With a Pisces Sun, you want to connect with realities more than the “here and now.” You are also imaginative and sensitive. Pisces Moon: you have a strong intuition and are able to sense energies from people which can take a toll on you. But you have a very vivid imagination which can provide you valuable insight. Pisces Rising: you may be very sensitive and can pick up on unseen influences in your surroundings. You also may have an ever changing personality

Each sign is different in their own way but they all work together to make you unique! There’s so much you can learn from your chart but seeing how your sun, moon and rising work together is a great place to start. Personally, I identify a lot with my “big three” (Aries, Aries, Leo) but some people don’t. Most times, the more you research the more it will make sense. This article was just a snippet into all that there is to learn.

Maria is currently at UW-Madison Studying Journalism, Strategic Communication, Spanish, and Larin American, Caribbean and Iberian studies with a minor in Sports Communication. She is originally from Brazil, so along with English and Spanish, she is fluent in Portuguese. She has a passion for social media, fitness, yoga, fashion, and travel. For Maria, Her-Campus has been a great outlet to publish articles that she loves and hopes others can enjoy!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!