This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How to be content spending time alone

Being alone can be scary. The overwhelming sense of isolation can be unbearable, plus who wants to be left alone with their own thoughts? I, however, am here to tell you that being alone can also hold great value in your life if you choose to embrace it. It will not always be easy and definitely will require some practice, but it is possible to enjoy your alone time, even in extensive periods. Being an only child is not only my official credential in alone time experience, but it has also provided me with a variety of ways to find peace when alone. Perhaps, you have already found this sense of fulfillment. If that is the case, more power to you. On the other hand, if you are new to embracing being alone or are looking to minimize feelings of loneliness, then maybe I can help.

Without a doubt, the most important aspect of embracing alone time involves restructuring your mindset. It is human nature to want to spend time surrounded by others, because we are, by definition, social creatures. For this reason, it is hardwired into our brains that being alone is a negative thing. In order to be content when by oneself, it is essential to reconstruct your self-schema to embrace time spent on your own. This should be thought of as an opportunity for self-reflection, accomplishment and relaxation. Admittedly, it is difficult to change the way one thinks because concepts are so deeply ingrained in our beliefs. But by simply remembering that time spent alone is a gift, not a curse, it becomes possible to find satisfaction in spending time alone.

In addition to mindset, there are also some helpful steps one can take to ensure a more fulfilling and rewarding time alone. The first thing I found that improves my mood when I am alone is spending less time on my phone. We all know the feeling of picking up our phone just to begin absentmindedly scrolling. Many people mistake this as a form of relaxation, when in reality it is merely a distraction. This can lead to several negative effects, such as heightened feelings of isolation. Seeing people together on social media can often cause us to feel like a failure or not as good as everyone else. Moreover, scrolling through one’s phone with no purpose can cause a person to feel like they wasted their time, which is usually harmful to one’s mental state. In order to avoid problematic outcomes such as these, limiting phone use can be immensely beneficial.

Personally, I have found that engaging in productive activities brings me great feelings of satisfaction and accomplishment when I spend time on my own. If you are a goal-driven person, then activities falling into this category may be effective for you. For any readers like myself, originality can be a struggle, so do not worry, I will share some productive ideas for you. One of my favorite pastimes, when I am alone, is cleaning. To most people, this sounds like a chore. However, if you put on some music or a movie in the background you will not even notice you are cleaning. Plus, when you finish and get to see the outcome of your work, you will be overcome with pride. Another common type of productivity that people partake in is going to the gym. I have recently started attending the gym by myself and found that it leaves me feeling refreshed. There is a great deal of research supporting the positive physical and mental benefits of exercise, making it a great activity for when you have some time alone. While these are a few ideas, anything that makes you feel productive is a great way to maximize your alone time. 

My other favorite type of alone time activities are centered around relaxation. Your body and mind are put through a lot throughout the day, which is why you deserve a break. Alone time is the perfect opportunity to recharge away from expectations. For some, this might mean reading, watching a movie, doing a face mask or even taking a nap. When it comes to relaxing, there is no one-size-fits-all. Explore and find the things you enjoy doing, and next time you are alone use them to your advantage. I promise you, it is okay to just step back from the world every once and a while to let yourself breathe. 

I cannot deny that it is a ton of fun to spend time with your friends, to be carefree and maybe a little bit reckless. Some people may read this and completely disagree with my assessment that you can be content on your own. But, it is important to avoid the trap of becoming completely reliant on others because then you can lose touch with yourself. Alone time can be anything you want it to be if you choose to make use of it.

Kendall Callery

Wisconsin '26

Kendall is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Managing Editor for UW's Her Campus chapter. Writing is a way for her to share her bold takes and unique personality. Not only is she a perfectionist at heart but she is also a coffee, baked goods, and horror movies addict.