This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Steps to take to ensure you ace your interview

Interviews are a crucial part of any recruitment process. It seems that we are always doing interviews for jobs, clubs and other opportunities. I used to be so scared of the interview process; I was unsure of what to say and really worried that I was not going to impress the interviewers. Interview by interview, though, I’ve slowly gotten over my fear and have been able to get into an adaptable pattern. I want to share a couple of things that I do to set myself up for success. 

One of the first things I do a day or two before the interview is to learn as much as I can about the company or organization. I read the whole website and look at social media accounts. I find things that I like, things that I relate to and things that I have questions about. This look through only takes about 30 minutes but I am able to use this information throughout the interview. By doing this, when they ask why you want to be a part of the organization, you are able to provide them with a direct and specific answer. I normally try to relate that to one or two things that I saw on the website and connect with things that I have included on my resume. I have also learned that asking the interviewer questions is a big part of the interview as well. By thinking of some questions that relate the company and what they have to the public will show good interest and help you learn even more about the organization that you will be joining.

Another thing that I do is read the job or club description and try to relate my answers to those key ideas or soft skills. In one of the internship descriptions that I have recently looked at, they were looking for someone who had good customer service. So when asked about my past work experience, I focused more heavily on how I have had experience in customer service. By knowing what they are looking for, I can cater my responses to their organization.

On the day of the interview, I review some questions that they might ask me. For example: what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses, or what are your biggest accomplishments? I think through what might be some good answers for these and make a note of them in my mind. This helps me feel more prepared for when the questions are asked. I have already thought of the questions, so the answers come way easier for me. 

The last thing I do happens right before the questions start. When the interview starts I am always really nervous, so I do my best to make a little small talk to cut through my nerves. This is normally not super interesting, but I can loosen up a little and have more confidence going through the rest of the interview.  

Though interviews are very intimidating there are some things that you can do to make them a little less stressful and set you up for a successful interview. Make sure you do your research, prep your answers and make yourself as comfortable as possible. Good luck on your next interview, you are going to kill it. 

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors