A Letter to All Who Listen to Christmas Music Before December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Dear all self-proclaimed Thanksgiving haters,

Or perhaps I should just refer to you in a broader sense: to all those who single handedly pay Mariah Carey’s bills during the month of NOVEMBER. I have never quite understood the monstrous act that is listening to Christmas music before December. I truly do believe there are two types of people in this world, and by asking this simple question you can distinguish exactly the kind of individual someone is.

When do you start listening to Christmas music?

If you’re sane and reasonable, you would answer, “after Thanksgiving, normally once it becomes December”. And if you’re absolutely crazy you would answer “immediately after Halloween” or pretty much any other answer that happens to occur before the leaves fall off the trees outside.

Now, I want to make this abundantly clear, I am in no way, shape or form a hater of Christmas music. It’s pretty much all I play, but unlike those of you I’m assuming are reading this letter because it was addressed to you, I only do so when it’s the appropriate month.

Let’s face the truth: Thanksgiving is already an extremely underrated holiday for reasons I will never understand because, personally, I love it. But we’re not here to talk about my love for Thanksgiving, so let’s talk about how by listening to Christmas music a whole month early, you completely eliminate any chance for Thanksgiving to have its moment! Sure, it may not be the holiday that alludes to magical beings and countless gifts and everything peppermint flavored. But nonetheless, I don’t think it deserves a full skim-over, does it?

And don’t even get me started on the repetition. Sure, there’s a lot of Christmas music put out each year, that is new, trendy variations of the same songs. And I enjoy every single last one of them, so once again not judging that. But I genuinely am curious; do you really not get bored of listening to Christmas music by the time December comes around?

Because I’ll be transparent with you all, by the time December 25 rolls around, I’m not exactly devastated over the radio stations going back to normal. And that’s how I feel after only twenty five days of it, so I can’t even fathom a whole extra month spent listening!

Plus, there’s something to be said about the magic surrounding the holiday season. School gets out for winter break, snow falling on the ground,  extended family comes into town to celebrate. There really is no better time of year. Catchy Christmas jingles we all know and love only add to the warm and fuzzy feelings! And that’s lacking during November because it’s not the designated month for it!

You don’t see anyone celebrating St. Patrick’s Day a whole month early in February. You’re certainly not going to find anyone trick or treating during the month of September. And I can almost certainly guarantee that no fireworks and all things red, white and blue will be spotted during June. So why is it that Halloween comes to an end, and all of a sudden you all are in a competition to see who can crank out the Christmas tunes the quickest?

There has to be an end to this madness. So I plead with you all, do the right thing. Let Thanksgiving have its moment, save the rest of us from having to flip through a million radio stations in November just to find a non-Christmas playing channel, and please, for all our sakes, listen to Christmas music during its rightful month: December.

Sincerely, 

Sophia Ross (a designated post-Thanksgiving Christmas music listener)

Sophia Ross

Wisconsin '26

Sophia is currently a freshman at University of Wisconsin-Madison, and she is planning on majoring in Journalism! In her free time Sophia loves running, taking pictures on her film camera, and going to as many concerts as her wallet allows!