Style > Fashion

A Guide to Being Warm and Stylish From a Student in the Midwest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Up your wardrobe while staying comfy and cozy this winter

During my past three semesters of going to school in the Midwest, a surprising amount of my newly-acquired knowledge involves winter fashion. It’s no question that women at Big Ten schools basically invented puffer jackets and leather pants, so I’m going to share a step-by-step guide on how to craft the perfect winter outfit. 

First, some warm pants. I feel like most of my outfits end up revolving around which pants I choose to wear. My go-to’s are typically flare pants; my favorite ones are from Lululemon, and Brandy Melville makes really cute and comfy ones as well. Sometimes, I want to be a bit comfier, so I opt for sweatpants. My favorite pair are men’s sweatpants from Uniqlo. If I want to spice up my outfit for class, I’ll throw on some jeans; I’ve been loving Garage low-rise jeans. 

Next, I look for some tops and layers. My favorite long sleeve layers are Lululemon Swiftly Tech tops. These go perfectly on their own if you want to wear a puffer jacket when it’s above freezing. Most of the time I just wear a sweatshirt or a crew neck; I love Gildan crew necks from Amazon because they have great basic colors. Nothing beats a hoodie and sweatpants, so I would highly recommend investing in a matching sweat set (I love my Aritzia TNA hoodie). If I want to dress my outfit up a tiny bit, I’ll opt for a quarter zip or oversized sweater. 

Lastly, shoes and accessories. Scarves are making their way back into style, and there’s no better way to keep yourself warm on walks outside than a cozy, knit scarf. It’s also never a bad idea to have a go-to beanie and mittens on hand (no pun intended). In the way of shoes, you can’t go wrong with Uggs and a nice pair of fuzzy socks. When there’s snow or slush on the ground, however, be sure to grab a pair of leather sneakers, such as Air Force Ones or Steve Madden Catchers.

This piece-by-piece guide gives you all the basics you need to stay warm and, more importantly, stylish this winter.

Marin Khalifa

Wisconsin '25

"right outside of dc" northern va – wisconsin 2025 <3