Life > Experiences

8 Tips to Reach Your Creative Writing Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s easier than you might think.

Every aspiring writer knows that the best way to improve your writing is the same method you use to improve at anything else: practice, practice, practice. However, it can be hard to find time to write in the midst of a busy schedule or to know how to start stories. Here are a few easy ways to help build your writing schedule and stay engaged while writing.

1. Write anywhere and everywhere

Writing doesn’t have to only happen at home or at a certain time of day. Consider integrating writing into your daily routine during a break between classes, for example, or on the commute home. Even writing just a few extra sentences per day can add up over the long term, and it helps keep your brain thinking about your story even when you aren’t able to write for a while. 

2. Consider changing how you write

If you can’t or don’t want to bring a computer or tablet everywhere you go, consider writing longhand in a notebook. Notebooks are also a great way to jot down ideas when your story isn’t easily accessible. Take notes on story ideas as they come to you, or even record pieces of dialogue or events that happen around you. You never know what you might end up using as fodder for your next piece. 

3. Hold onto your discarded drafts

Just because a character or a series of events doesn’t work for one story doesn’t mean it won’t work for another. Whenever I find myself losing interest in a short story, I dump it into a Google Doc with the rest of my unfinished stories. When I read back through the document, sometimes I find new inspiration to keep working on the story, or I see something in an old draft that can be repurposed in a new one. It’s easier than starting from scratch or deleting hours of hard work just because it wasn’t the right time to tell that particular story.

4. Try journaling

Establishing a writing schedule can be hard. Journaling can help you get used to the idea of writing every day and will allow you to establish a time and place where you can write consistently. Consider journaling once or twice a week at first and slowly adding more days to your journaling routine. If you don’t have much to write about, challenge yourself by creating a writing exercise tied to your day-to-day life. This can include recreating a conversation from memory or describing a scene from your day in as much detail as you possibly can. 

5. Write in many genres

If you’re just starting out writing, you might not know what genres you’re really interested in. Maybe you want to write prose fiction, or perhaps you’re more interested in book reviews, travel writing, journalism, playwriting, or some other genre. Gaining writing experience in different genres can keep you engaged while you figure out what you like to write. Try writing for different publications, like a school newspaper or a foreign affairs magazine, to practice writing in different tones about different topics. You’ll probably find some styles you like more than others.

6. Write what you love

Don’t worry about trying to write something popular—or even something good. Write the kinds of stories that are enjoyable to you, maybe even stories you would want to read yourself. You’ll be more engaged in what you’re writing, and you’ll also feel more comfortable working with your stories, which lessens the risk of imposter syndrome. It will also be easier to revise later because you’ll have a better idea of what things to look out for. I also find it helpful to read what I love, so I can see what other authors are creating and decide what strategies I want to emulate in my own writing.

7. Don’t get discouraged by writer’s block

Even the best writers get writer’s block or have days when the words aren’t flowing like they normally do. When I’m finding it difficult to write a story, I tend to leave it alone for a few days (or weeks) and start something else. At least I’m getting writing practice, and maybe the new idea will be worth pursuing later on.

8. Celebrate your accomplishments

Writing can be a long, lonely and tiring process, so it’s important to acknowledge your accomplishments. Do something special when you hit your writing goals, whether that’s finishing a short story or book or hitting a set word count. Treat yourself during the day, buy that thing on Amazon you’ve been wanting to purchase, or do something with your friends. Take a day off from writing, if you like, but remember to start again the next day. Writing is a lifelong process, and there’s always room for improvement and more story ideas. 

Writing can be daunting, and it’s often hard to know where to start or what to write. By creating a writing schedule and sticking to it as much as possible, the process will seem more manageable because you’ll be able to establish clearer, more realistic goals for yourself. And don’t worry too much about it—writing is meant to be fun, and if it’s feeling stressful, you might want to reconsider your writing practices. The more you write and the more you get to know your own style, the more excited you’ll be to see what you can create!

Sophia Halverson

Wisconsin '23

Sophia is a senior at University of Wisconsin-Madison, majoring in History, English, and International Studies. Outside of school she loves reading, writing, going for walks, and playing with her pets.