8 Lessons I’ve Learned From Being on Instagram for 8 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I’m an early bloomer in more ways than one: not only was I on Instagram before most people my age, but most people in general. Instagram launched in 2010, I was 8 then. And sometime before April 11th, 2013, I joined the Instagram community on my iPod 4. I was in 5th grade and still so innocent. Some of my early posts would be random selfies wearing a headband from Gymboree and pictures of my dolls captioned “my babies,” thinking nothing of it. But, after capturing monumental phases of my life on Instagram, I learned a few things.

You don’t have to delete your old posts

My younger sister constantly pesters me to delete my old pictures, and by old I mean 2013- not caring about what I post- old. I don’t find the posts embarrassing, in fact, they are memories from a time when I didn’t think about likes, editing or how I looked. Of course, now I care more about what I post, but I don’t want to delete happy moments and memories for the sake of an aesthetically pleasing feed.

Caring about your feed is okay, it’s also okay not to care.

Some people take the time to make sure their feed is top notch. They make sure the color scheme matches and carefully edit all their pictures. But some don’t care, and that’s fine (see Number eight). You shouldn’t start editing your photos just because someone told you it would look better, especially if you paid no attention to it before. But, if you want to commit to a perfect feed, then do it, especially if you have a passion for social media (that’s also allowed, many people turn Instagram into a job…you shouldn’t be criticized for doing so).

Innocence is bliss…sometimes

In the past, I’ve gotten some very rude comments under photos, but didn’t think they were rude or I didn’t know what they meant, especially when I was younger. I saw the comments and brushed them off. Then, a few years later it would hit me: that what someone commented was actually really mean. I guess at the time it was probably best for my younger self to just go on with my little life. But also, we should hold those people accountable; if someone disrespects you on Instagram, don’t ignore it. Either you approach them calmly or someone else will. In my case, I’ve had occasions where I didn’t realize and someone else stood up for me. Nowadays, Instagram is used to share your passions; no one should use their platform to bring you down.

You are not egotistical for posting pictures of yourself often

Oh, the number of times someone has claimed I was self-absorbed because my Instagram was more pictures of me rather than a group of people. Guess what? It’s my Instagram, mine. Period. I am entitled to post what I want and since the pandemic started I’ve been taking so many more selfies than I had before. Remember, if you don’t like what I post you do have the option to unfollow me. We aren’t under a binding legal contract where I force you to like everything I post. 

You’re allowed to track your followers

Some may claim it’s unhealthy or an obsession, but you have the right to know who stopped following you; I know a lot of people think about it. No hard feeling (most of the time).

Use your Instagram analytics to decide the optimal posting time

Click the 3 dashes at the top of your profile page then go to “insights.” In insights, you’ll see “Your Audience,” click “see all” and scroll to find “most active times.” There you will see when most of your followers are active, for me, it’s 12 pm, 3 pm, and 6 pm. When planning to post, I aim to do it during those times. As you become more aware of follower engagement, you can accurately plan your posts. I do this when I have a post I really like or a message I really want to share. If you want to grow your Instagram, you need to be aware of your following.

Although a good escape, Instagram can be mentally exhausting

After hours and hours of online lectures and homework, I enjoy scrolling through Instagram (who doesn’t?). But there have been moments where Instagram has made me feel frustrated. Usually, that’s been during times where something major was happening (start of covid, BLM protests, climate crisis etc.). Obviously, you should aim to stay informed and aim to have a voice in the discussions, but sometimes it’s a good thing to take a break. Don’t feel guilty for it, you’re still a human being who deserves a break from the world. It isn’t ignorant to take time to relax.

Post whatever you want!!

Whether it be on your feed or on your story, post what makes you happy!! But never, ever post anything that brings people down, even if it feels silly. Shade on Instagram (and on any social media platform) does not look cool or quirky. You may not remember the post or who it was about, but I guarantee you that whomever the post was directed to will remember how you made them feel. But, you do have the freedom to voice your opinion and share your life, so do it. Your Instagram is yours, post for yourself and not for others.

Instagram has been such a huge part of my life over the past eight years. On instagram I found my personal style, I found a community of girls with similar interests, I’ve grown my media presence, I’ve learned things about life that have helped me in the long run and most importantly, I found who I wanted to be in the world. If it wasn’t for Instagram showing me so many amazing people, I don’t know what kind of path I would be on.

Maria is currently at UW-Madison Studying Journalism, Strategic Communication, Spanish, and Larin American, Caribbean and Iberian studies with a minor in Sports Communication. She is originally from Brazil, so along with English and Spanish, she is fluent in Portuguese. She has a passion for social media, fitness, yoga, fashion, and travel. For Maria, Her-Campus has been a great outlet to publish articles that she loves and hopes others can enjoy!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!