7 Tips & Tricks to Refresh Your Room for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It is finally that time of year! The sun is starting to shine, the grass is getting greener, and the flowers are even beginning to blossom. Spring is the time for renewal and refreshment — not only is the weather transitioning, but so are our wardrobes and lifestyles. The perfect way to start the season is to do a little spring cleaning! It can be overwhelming at times, but we’ve got a few tips and tricks to keep you on track while cleaning or organizing your space this spring.

Sort Through Your Clothes and Old School Supplies

I’ve tried to give away one (maybe two!) items of clothing for each new item I buy. This method can be hard to do every time you go shopping or buy something new, but it is a good thing to keep in the back of your mind.

Going through old notes is also a great idea. If you’re anything like me you’re scared to get rid of any old class notes Just in case, you somehow need them. But, chances are you’ll find a good pile of worksheets and papers you used as scratch that wouldn’t hurt to recycle. Plus, going through your notes and clothes helps you to know what you have, so you know to use either pieces or supplies that you have when necessary and so you don’t end up buying pieces similar to ones you already have!

Drawer Organizers/Dividers

Dividers and drawer organizers are perfect for keeping your small items visible and organized, This is a great tool for items like socks, belts, headbands, hair accessories, or even school supplies. These dividers will help make everything visible so you know what you have and you’re not constantly digging to find that one hair-tie or bobby pin you know is there, but you can’t find every morning.

Small Bins for Small Clothing Items

Along the same line as drawer organizers and dividers, little bins are a great way to keep your small clothing pieces neat and tidy! Again, they help keep things where you can see them. Clear bins are probably the best way to go so that you can see exactly what it is you need in the morning when you’re getting dressed.

Toiletries Cart

If you share a house, apartment or room, it’s not likely you’ll have enough space to put all your makeup, toiletries, etc. in the bathroom. Plus, storing toiletries and makeup is not something you necessarily think of when planning out how you’re going to organize your space. My solution? A toiletry cart! These carts can hold skin and hair care supplies, towels, lotion, nail polish and more. It’s a great way to store your necessities without taking up too much space in your room (wheels make it easy to move around, too!).

Laundry Bin or Bag

This one seems like a no-brainer but having a designated place for your dirty clothes and remembering to use it is really important. Plus, it’s an easy and cute addition to your room! Making this a habit will definitely keep your room feeling fresh all the time. An alternative use for laundry bins could also be winter gear storage! Though we’re nearing the end of the time when these items are necessary, a cute laundry-like bin is a great place to throw your favorite scarves or blankets, so you have easy access to them throughout the week.  

Mounted Shelves

Mounted shelves are great for the photos, trinkets, plants, & little things in your life that you want to display and look at every day. Shelves make it so those things aren’t taking up too much desk or night table space but are still visible during your everyday. In a college living situation, though, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to mount shelves to your wall without getting in trouble with your landlord… so here are a couple of things we’ve come up with that will cause little to no damage when you move out!

What we’d recommend:

Command Quartz Display Ledges: $15.98 at Home Depot

Wire Wall Square Grid & Wire Wall Grid Shelf: $49 & $16 from Urban Outfitters (pictured above)

Update Your Décor

Finally, one of the best ways to freshen up your room for the spring is to update your decorations! This is a great and easy way to make your room feel like new without spending much money. Changing up your room’s theme or color palette is fun and not too difficult to do.

Check out some cute, inexpensive décor items we love below:

Leanne Simpson Orange Harvest Art Print: Starting at $19.99 from Urban Outfitters

Rattan Elephant Basket Natural: $24.99 from Target

Lumbar Chunky Woven Outdoor Pillow: $19.99 from Target

So, if you’re in need of a room refresh this spring, look no further! We’ve got the best tips and tricks for making your room feel like new this season.

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!