7 Things I Wish I Had Known as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For most high school seniors, college is both exciting and daunting.  In August of 2012 I packed up my bags (and everything I could fit into a small cement room) and began the six-hour drive up to UW.  Coming from the exotic land of St. Louis university I didn’t know a single person.  Now, more than halfway through my sophomore year I like to think I’m a little more clued in, but here are a few things I wish I had known (or maybe listened to) last year.

1.Everyone is in the same boat.  As a freshman everyone is new, and looking to meet people, even the ones from close to Madison.  Don’t be afraid to get involved in new things.  Try new clubs even if they’re out of your comfort zone, ask people in your class to study, and most of all step outside of your comfort zone!

2.Take advantage of the resources.  It’s easy to get lost at a big school, so when someone offers you help, take it!  Wisconsin is full of great opportunities be it free classes at the serf during the first weeks of the semester, advisors for every subject, free transportation, or even special deals for college students. 

3.Stay warm– I was determined to look cute rather than be comfortable, even if it meant only wearing a sweatshirt in sub zero temperatures.  The practical girls are the smart ones, so make sure you have a long park, winter boots, and all the right accessories (you can still look good!)

4.It’s hard to stay healthy– I had never had to think about what I was eating before college.  It came as a huge shock to be when I returned home for Thanksgiving break with an extra five pounds.  Late night topper sticks or Ian’s may seem like a great idea but you can’t do it every weekend without suffering the consequences.  Be conscious about what you eat, because eating right in the dorms is difficult.    

5.  Don’t be too cool for anyone

As basic as it sounds college is very different from high school.  Even after you find a friend group it’s always great to branch out and meet new people.  It’s important to diversify, and who knows you could meet someone who will end up becoming one of your best friends.  

6.Stay Optimistic– No one loves college all of the time.  It is very easy to begin doubting yourself, especially when talking to your friends at home who sound like they’re having a great time.  Your first year is filled with ups and downs, and I don’t know a single person who didn’t think about transferring at one time.  It’s important to stick it out for at least a semester to know if you’re at the right school.

7.Have fun!-You’re only a freshman once, so do everything you want to and don’t regret it!

No one can deny freshman year is hard, but we all have to go through it.  The important thing is coming out a little bit wiser than when you started.