7 Fun, Creative Latkes to Make for Hanukkah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Latkes are one of the best parts of Hanukkah; sure, you could go for the traditional fried potato pancake, but why not explore some creative options to spice up your latke game this Hanukkah season?

1. The Classic Latkes

You can’t forget this Hanukkah staple — it’s strikes the perfect balance between crispiness and greasiness. Top them with applesauce, sour cream, ketchup or whatever your heart desires.

2. Latke Grilled Cheese

Who wouldn’t love a melted cheese sandwiched between two potato latkes?

3. Latke Waffles

These are perfect if you’re in a breakfast mood — just cook your latke batter in a waffle maker. These also pairs well with eggs. You know what to do for your next yummy holiday-esque breakfast.

4. Latke Nachos

Use latkes as “chips” for your nachos, and load on the toppings. Queso, anyone?

5. Sweet Potato Latkes

They’re like regular latkes but sweeter! Top with brown sugar syrup and candied pecans for a yummy treat.

6. Spinach Latkes

If you’re trying to stay healthy without giving up this yummy holiday food, these are for you. Substitute potatoes with spinach, and fry them in olive oil!

7. Poutine Latkes

Swap out french fries for latkes; and don’t forget to add cheese curds and gravy! Yum!

These seven alternatives will your latkes far from boring. Happy holidays, and happy cooking!

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!