Life > Experiences

5 Things on My Bucket List and How to Create your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Going outside your comfort zone to experience new things

My bucket list is a well-crafted list of opportunities that add to my personal growth and make me appreciate our world. You can accomplish many things that benefit you in different ways, and it seems like a waste to not make the most of all the opportunities that come your way. You need to take advantage of the fun, crazy and unique things this life offers! However, thinking of ideas and what types of experiences you could put on your bucket list can be hard to think of, so here are the top five things on my bucket list.

Natalie’s Bucket List:

1. Ride in a Hot Air Balloon At Sunset
  2. Go Tandem Skydiving
  3. Officiate a Wedding
  4. Attend the Big Dill Pickle Fest in Maryland 
  5. Learn How to Play Violin

Now that you have some ideas, it’s time to craft your own bucket list with a few tips!

Tip 1: Start with ideas that fuel your passions or let you discover new ones.

These things are opportunities that allow you to accomplish goals that align with your life. Additionally, it will enable you to bring new passions into your life, such as trying new hobbies, traveling to new places, tasting new foods and meeting new people. This section of your bucket list consists of opportunities to be selfish and find out what makes you feel happy in this world. Putting this extra focus on yourself helps with self-improvement and furthering your career and personal goals.

Tip 2: Add some random and weird things to the list.

Add some spice by implementing some things on your bucket list that are unique and uncommon to experience. Boring lists don’t lead you to experience opportunities that may make you feel alive. Go out and try things no one else has tried or learn a new hobby that isn’t common. This part of your bucket list may not seem as necessary, but you will find yourself loving the idea of being able to say you have done what others haven’t! This category might include learning to bounce on a pogo stick, eating crickets, completing an undefeated food challenge, or going skinny dipping (at your own risk).

Tip 3: Always include something that will challenge you.

These things are there to build your experiences and take you outside of your comfort zone. In most cases, these are opportunities to face your fears and accomplish something you might have never believed you could have done. Striving to achieve these bucket list items is a chance to work on personal development. This category might include running a marathon, applying for your dream job, climbing Mount Everest, etc.

Bucket lists are a wide range of ideas that are a collection of the overarching goals you have for yourself and the desire to fulfill your passions. Incorporating passionate, random and challenging ideas into your bucket list is one of the few ways to craft your bucket list. Reaching out to family and friends, searching the internet, and encouraging others to create their own bucket lists can help you generate your own. Crafting a bucket list is never easy, but the best part is that you will always have things to include because there are endless opportunities to experience!

Natalie Ingold

Wisconsin '24

Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who is studying Psychology and who is learning to love to write for fun!