5 Theatre Productions on Campus to Look Forward to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I realize that most of you aren’t jumping joyously now that school is back in session, but I believe that there is one really good reason you should get pumped about being on campus this fall: theatre. UW-Madison produces amazing shows year-round—some even by students—that feature outrageous talent that you can’t find anywhere else. Who knows, you could be watching a future Broadway star! So, be sure to hit up at least one of these five amazing, yet very different, theatrical productions here on campus starting this month:

1. Almost, Maine, by John Cariani

Almost, Maine is a play about nine different couples falling in and out of love in the town of Almost. Each couple has a very different story to tell, and these stories will warm your heart during the cold winter season, during which the play is set. Almost, Maine is the perfect show to see with a date when you are looking to break your “going to the movies” routine (though, who doesn’t love a good movie). This play is heartwarming, and it will make you laugh and cry. Who knows, it may even make you feel like it’s Valentine’s Day— except it’s actually still the middle of September.

Almost, Maine is being produced by the University Theatre Department. The play will run from Sept.15-24 at the Mitchell Theatre.

2. Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

Our Town is a beautifully written play that follows the lives of George Gibbs and Emily Webb. Set in the quaint little town of Grover’s Corners, the story deals with newly found love, growing up, marriage, death and loss. Anyone who watches Our Town is bound to find something they can relate to, whether it be the loss of a loved one or even simply growing up in a small town where everyone knows everybody else’s business. Our Town moves through the cycle of life right before your eyes, so it will leave you contemplating whether you’re living your best life.

Our Town is being produced by the University Theatre Department. The play will run from Oct. 12-29 at the Hemsley Theatre.

3. Reasons to Be Pretty, by Neil LaBute

In case you haven’t already guessed, Reasons to Be Pretty is a play about beauty standards. Is there only one way to categorize beauty? A couple, Steph and Greg, gets into a feud because Steph’s best friend overhears a conversation in which her husband and Greg talks about Steph’s physical appearance and branded her as ‘regular’. Obviously, no girl wants to hear from her boyfriend that she has a ‘regular-looking’ face— that set a fire under Steph. Steph will be fighting for the right to be appreciated for the way that she is, instead of being categorized and compared to “prettier” women. Greg will soon have to deal with the aftermath of his dispute with Steph and navigate his own world of beauty standards as it comes crashing down.

Reasons to Be Pretty is being produced by the Undergraduate Theatre Association. The play will open in the beginning of November at the Vilas black box theatre in Room 4010.

4. Is He Dead?, by Mark Twain

I already know what you are thinking: is WHO dead? That was the same thought that went through my head the first time I heard the name of this play, too. Is He Dead? is about French painter Jean-François Millet, who isn’t making much of a living from his paintings. In an attempt to spike his income, Millet stages a fake death in hopes of raising his popularity, which he hope would in turn allow him to sell more paintings. Who doesn’t love a good comedy filled with fake deaths, cross-dressing and romance?!

Is He Dead? is being produced by the University Theatre Department. The play will run from Nov. 16 – Dec. 3 at the Mitchell Theatre.

5. Melancholy Play, by Sarah Ruhl

Melancholy Play is a play (*shocker*) about bank teller Tilly suffering from “melancholy” (aka. depression). As Tilly goes about her everyday errands and visits different establishments (e.g. the hairdresser, a tailor, and a psychiatrist), she asks people questions that arouse interest in her. Everyone Tilly interacts with falls in love with her;  these people don’t realize, though, that it is her “melancholy” that attracts them to her. When Tilly finally realizes what it means to be happy and regains her happiness, she ends up losing her loved ones one by one—she is no longer desirable because she has rid herself of her melancholy.

Melancholy Play is being produced by the Undergraduate Theatre Association. The play will open at the beginning of December in the Hemsley Theatre.

Each one these plays is going to be completely unique. It will be a way for you to immerse into the world of five different stories. I hope that you take the time to go and check out some theatre this fall! You can buy tickets for all University Theatre Department shows online and at the Vilas and Memorial Union box offices, as well as online.

Hi, my name is Alexandria Chapes and I am a senior at UW-Madison. I am majoring in Theatre and Drama as an Acting Specialist with a certificate in Digital Studies. I enjoy writing in my spare time, especially about theatre, because it is a world unknown to many that I loving sharing with others!