5 Overplayed Halloween Costumes & How to Update Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The second the calendar hits October 1st, Halloween is on everyone’s mind. Over the course of the month, we all spend countless hours brainstorming costumes, drooling over pumpkin desserts on Pinterest, and planning the perfect Halloween weekend. Being a (neurotic) planner, I keep a running list of costume ideas on my computer. As collegiates, we try to find the perfect balance between sexy, creative and of course, inexpensive. It can be hard to execute what we think is an amazing, original costume. Therefore many of us resort to the easy Halloween basics. Here are five costumes that are totally overdone and fun ways to update them:

1. Cat

Definitely a favorite Halloween animal. As Cady said in Mean Girls, “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it,” and this costume allows you to do exactly that. The basic cat costume has its roots in the dozens of overpriced variations from Party City, but college girls have altered this Halloween favorite by sporting their most revealing black clothes and throwing on some ears. Updating this look is extremely simple and works for just about every animal us girls love to dress up as. Try a Beanie Baby! After you’ve picked out your perfect animal costume complete with ears and a tail, get crafty! Make yourself an oversized TY tag that will make everyone nostalgic of their childhood.

2. Princess

Another easy costume that fulfills every girl’s childhood fantasy. For those of us who consider our birthday a national holiday, Halloween is another excuse to run around in a tiara all night. To switch up the classic princess look this year, think current events! Cinderella may have been your favorite princess 10 years ago, but in 2013, it’s Kate Middleton. When channeling your inner Kate think simplicity, natural beauty and class. Kate is famous for a closet full of stunningly fashionable dress coats, so this costume will definitely keep you warm during Freak Fest. Add a cute pillbox hat (or even a tiara!) and a pair of pumps to perfect this outfit. Go the extra mile with a Princess Diana-style ring or carry around a little Prince George Alexander Louis for the night!

3. Hippie

As the daughter of a Woodstock attendee, tie-dye, fringe and peace signs were always a go-to during dress up. The ‘hippie’ fashion has reemerged in the 21st century, so you may not be able to get away with this costume on Halloween much longer. Luckily for us Badgers, we have some inspiration closer by to update the hippie look. The counterculture was rooted in antiwar protests, so try something a little more local this year: the Library Mall preachers and protestors. Not only is this an easy costume, but it’s one that will have your friends laughing all night. Jeans and a shirt will do just fine, but get creative with your picket sign!

4. Spice Girls

It absolutely pains me that the Spice Girls fall on this list. As my favorite pop group of all time (yes, I attended the reunion tour in 10th grade), I’ve dressed up as Scary Spice at least twice and I plan on rocking this look once more in my future Halloween career. But, for those of you who are sick of seeing dozens of girls dressed in 90’s platforms on Halloween, I have a solution for you. This year, Hollywood introduced us to a new fantastic five, The Bling Ring. Wear your glitziest pieces, whip out that horrible Louis Vuitton knock off you bought in 6th grade and top it off with a pair of oversized sunglasses. For extra points, find yourself a pillow with Paris Hilton’s face on it or carry around a pint sized stuffed animal dog for the night.

5. Angel and Devil

The ultimate best friend costume. How many of us fought with our bestie over who would get to sport the devil horns at least once in middle school. This is another favorite childhood costume that us college girls can easily transform into something Regina George approved. I saved the best update for last. This costume is all about opposites, and what screams opposites better than Miley Cyrus pre- and post- whatever made her go crazy. Instead of angel and devil this year, grab your best friend and dress up as Hannah Montana and 2013 VMA Miley. For Hannah Montana, don your girliest middle school outfit, with a long blonde wig and a microphone. For 2013 Miley, go for a barely there, nude booty shorts and a bra or black leggings and a matching crop top. Throw your hair up in two pigtail buns and don’t forget to stick your tongue out all night long!

* photo credit, Alexandra Kessler