david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Halloween Costumes That Don’t Cost a Million Dollars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Colorful leaves line the sidewalk, the smell of pumpkin spice fills the air, and the stress of trying to figure out a Halloween costume strikes once again! Don’t worry, though — these costumes are not only adorable but also affordable for a broke college student:

1. Sandy from Grease

Girls always strive for simple, cute looks even when they’re in a crunch for a last-minute Halloween costume. Stress no more because this costume is the answer to all your problems — and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Sandy from Grease is always a great go-to costume, and it’s extremely easy to DIY! Pair a black crop top (off-the-shoulder recommended) with black leggings or skinny jeans, and accessorize with black heels, red lipstick and a cute pair of large hoop earrings — you’re set!

2. Tooth Fairy

This costume will set you apart from the rest of the crowd while keeping your money in your wallet. This original, classy costume will be sure to turn heads; so grab that white mini dress from your closet, buy a pair of white fairy wings from your local party store, and top it all off with a little tiara. Carry around your toothbrush as an extra accessory to really get into the spirit. Bonus: get a friend to dress up as a cute dentist to earn you some extra costume points!

3. Flapper

If you’re feeling like embracing your inner ’20s gal, then a flapper costume is perfect for you. Simply buy a short, gold, sparkly dress. If you’re really feeling the spirit, opt for a full-on fringe dress. You can find cheap ones at Forever 21 or any other clothing store that sells dresses. Accentuate your look with some simple, elegant touches, such as a long beaded necklace, short gold wedges or sandals. Don’t be afraid to add a feathered boa around your neck to show off your costuming skills either! Crown yourself with a feathered headband to complete the ultimate ’20s flapper look! All of these accessories can easily be purchased at any party or costume store for under $15!

4. Where’s Waldo

What’s red, white and hard to find this Halloween? You in your Where’s Waldo costume, of course! The one thing that won’t be hard to find, though, is the money to put this costume together. Pair a cute red and white striped shirt with a pair of jeans or a jean skirt (or any blue skirt or bottom, for that matter)! You can most probably find these items in the back of your closet or at your local thrift shop or clothing store! Accessories are key to complete this costume: try a pair of black glasses, a pair of cute red and white striped socks and a pair of white Vans or Converse. For extra emphasis on your character, consider purchasing a red and white striped beanie. Watch as people swoon over this creative (and extremely cheap) costume — everyone will wonder how you did it.

5. DIY Gumball Machine

If you’re looking to go down the less traditional route this Halloween, be an adorable gumball machine! Tap into your crafty side and bring out the glue gun — this DIY costume is sure to turn heads left and right. All you need is a red tank or bandeau, colorful pom-pom balls and a red mini/pencil skirt. Glue the pom-pom balls to the red shirt, and you’re all set. If you want to add an extra touch, write “25¢” on a piece of white construction paper and tape it to your skirt. Put it all together, and you’re really in for a sweet treat! The best part: this whole costume costs no more than a few of those quarters!

Hopefully, you’ve been convinced that looking your best this Halloween doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. So go out and rock one of these adorable, affordable costumes at your next Halloween party!

:)
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!