Friends Walking Together 1
Friends Walking Together 1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

5 Body Positive Models You Should Be Following

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In this age of social media, it can be very easy to get caught up on unrealistic beauty standards. Scrolling through pictures of stick-thin models who likely have been photoshopped can be very damaging to self-esteem. These body-positive models are trailblazers in the body confidence movement that is removing the pressure from social media.

Iskra Lawrence

Instagram: @iskra

Iskra Lawrence is a 29 year old British model who is most famous for modeling for the #AerieReal campaign. Iskra does not hold back when it comes to talking about having a positive body image, stretch marks and how bodies can change in life. She is signed to JAG Models and recently walked in New York Fashion Week.

Jordyn Woods

Instagram: @jordynwoods

Everyone knows Jordyn Woods as being Kylie Jenner’s ex BFF, but she is actually a well-established model. At the age of 21, she has her own athleisure line, starred in the TV show “Life of Kylie”, modeled for the denim company Good American and created her own makeup line with Kylie Cosmetics. She is signed to Ford Modeling Agency and recently joined forces with Eyelure to create her own eyelash line. She is known for being the most well-known plus-size model and being an advocate for body image and confidence.

Ashley Graham

Instagram: @ashleygraham

Ashley Graham is a 31 year old American model and TV presenter who is signed to IMG Models. She became the first size 16 model to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition which revolutionized the industry of plus-size modeling. She is famous for starring in the DNCE music video for “Toothbrush” and hosting the TV show American Beauty Star. Furthering her impact as a body-positive model, she recently gave a TED Talk on self-acceptance and body image.

Tess Holliday

Instagram: @tessholliday

Tess Holliday is a 35 year old American model who is signed to Milk Model Management. She became their first plus-sized model over the size of 20. She has starred in many fashion campaigns from H&M to Torrid and has had her own collaborations with Monif Clarke and Penningtons. She is known as being an activist for body positivity through her #effyourbeautystandards movement on Instagram and criticism of Victoria’s Secret lack of diversity.

Jada Sezer

Instagram: @jadasezer

Jada Sezer is a 30 year old British model who is most famous for her London Marathon protest. She ran the London Marathon in her underwear to show that every size and shape could be a “running body.” She is currently signed to Wilhelmina Models and has worked with L’Oreal and Asos. Along with being a body positivity advocate, she also advocates for mental health through her master’s degree in child psychology.

While our society still has a long way to go when it comes to beauty standards and Photoshop, these models are doing their part to erase the stigmas against what it means to be a model.

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.