This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Remember way back in 2012 when Macklemore first came onto the scene, and everyone was all about thrift shopping for a bit? It can be hard to say no to buying the latest trends, but it’s time we start circling back to reusing old clothes.  Upcycling is a part of the “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” mantra in which you repurpose or reinvent your old clothes in an effort to reduce the amount of clothes thrown away each year. According to the EPA, the amount of clothing ending up in landfills has been growing exponentially each decade since 1980. The most recent data shows that in 2015, 10 million tons of clothing and textiles ended up in landfills. 

A large part of the issue comes from the “fast fashion” industry, which churns out the latest trends in clothing and sends them immediately to stores to be marketed and sold to consumers. This most often comes at the expense of natural resources and labor from poorer countries. 

What can you do to help? Reduce the amount of clothes you throw away and purchase. Give new life to your old clothes. There are hundreds of tutorials online for upcycling clothes for a range of skill sets. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to DIY your newest look. There are:

“No Sew” Tutorials

These tutorials use materials such as fabric glue or iron tape to create clean seams and hems that look professionally done.

“No Sew & No Glue” Tutorials

All you need is a pair of scissors to create something new! Easy.

“Restyling Tutorials”

No modification required! Just styling your clothes differently creates a whole new look.

Next time you go to make a purchase, ask yourself:

1. Am I going to wear this more than three times? 
  2. Am I going to wear this in a month? 
  3. Will I want to wear this again next year?

If the answer is “no” or “maybe” to any of those or similar questions — put it back. Invest in quality clothing pieces that you will wear and that won’t fall apart after going through the wash for the first time. 

More importantly, take a look at what you already have. Be appreciative, and if your wardrobe really does seem lifeless, try some new tricks with old favorites. With all of the environmental awareness and activism happening today, it is time to be a conscious consumer. Do your research. Understand the impact that you have on the environment and make smart choices.   

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.