This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you don’t think you’re a podcast person…think again.

I had a bad track record with podcasts up until last year. I had tried out occasional podcast episodes here and there, but nothing that I listened to ever stuck with me. Then along came 2021, when I desperately needed something to hold my attention during my self-care walks after a long day of Zoom classes. My answer, as luck would have it, came to me during a Her Campus meeting, when former HCWI co-president and fellow Swiftie Erin introduced me to a podcast called Every Single Album. I started listening to it religiously, and it opened up my eyes to a whole new world. By finding podcasts based on things I already loved, I was able to discover three podcasts that I could listen to forever.

1. Every Single Album

I can’t think of a more perfect podcast if you’re a fan of today’s pop stars, including Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Adele, or One Direction. I’m a superfan of all of these artists, and even with my prior knowledge of their music, I’m still learning so many new things from this podcast. In each episode, The Ringer’s Nora Princiotti and Nathan Hubbard take you on a deep dive of an album from these artists’ discography, starting at the very beginning. In addition to sharing context leading up to the album and their initial reactions to the songs, Nora and Nathan sort the songs, lyrics and moments into 12 unique categories. For Taylor Swift albums, these include “Most Purposeful Easter Egg” and “Peak Taylor,” and for One Direction, they switch it up with “Swooniest/Cringiest Lyric” and “Are Any of These Songs About Taylor Swift?” No matter who they’re reviewing, they always start with the biggest song, choose a song to cut, and ultimately give the album a grade. It’s fun to play along and think about some of my favorite albums with a new perspective.

2. Welcome to Our Show

Welcome to Our Show is the New Girl reunion we’ve all been waiting for. Zooey Deschanel (Jess), Hannah Simone (Cece) and Lamorne Morris (Winston) star in this weekly rewatch podcast that takes you back to apartment 4D in all its glory. They recap an episode a week, taking you through behind-the-scenes stories, plot lines and jokes that didn’t make the final cut, and conversations with fellow cast and crew members about their time on set. And, in true New Girl fashion, they always end with a game of True American, “where the rules change weekly and you leave more confused than when you showed up.” If you ever walk past me on a Monday and I’m smiling to myself, I’m probably listening to this hilarious podcast.

3. On My Mind with Ava Jules

Whether you watch her YouTube videos or not, Ava Jules feels like the internet’s collective big sister/best friend. “On My Mind” is her new podcast that chronicles everything that’s (surprise, surprise) on her mind as she navigates her early 20s. With topics like “The Realities of Growing Up” and “Finding Yourself in Your 20s,” each episode feels extremely relatable and validating as a fellow 21-year-old making her way in the world. Ava’s honesty, vulnerability and positivity radiate through each of her podcast episodes, and listening to new episodes during my busy Wednesdays always feels as comforting as a hug from a friend. She’s made me realize that it’s completely okay to not know what you’re doing with your life yet. Her down-to-earth personality is a great reminder that influencers and celebrities whose internet presences make them look so incredibly put together are human beings figuring life out just like the rest of us.

If you aren’t a podcast lover right now, it’s not too late! Finding the perfect podcast requires a sort of networking; start with something that you love already, and chances are, there’s a podcast out there hosted by people who are just as big of fans as you are. If you’re a fan of Taylor Swift, New Girl or YouTubers, these three recommendations might be just the thing for you to start loving podcasts as much as I do. If not, it’ll just take some trial and error to find the podcast to get you hooked.

Abby Synnes

Wisconsin '23

Abby is a senior at UW-Madison studying English and communication sciences and disorders. She is an enthusiast of good books, Taylor Swift, and vanilla lattes.