This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

College goes by way too fast

When the semester ends this May, I’m going to freak out. I am going to be done with my sophomore year of undergrad which is just so crazy to think about. I never believed people when they were like “Oh, college is so fun, it flies by so fast,” but it turns out that they’re right. And I don’t really know how to feel. I’m proud of my two years so far, and I hope these next two years both fly by and go slowly because I really think I am going to miss college. Here are my few takeaways from college so far:

1. No one knows what they are doing

In college, it often feels like everyone around you knows exactly what they’re doing and have all these plans for the summer and post-grad, but that doesn’t mean you do. As cheesy as it sounds, it is okay to take things at your own pace. I still think it’s important to make decisions and create a plan, but it doesn’t have to be the first thing you do when you get to campus. Things come with time and experience, and you’ll figure it out.

2. Sometimes you have to be your own advisor

It is no secret that advisors can sometimes be unhelpful. This is most likely because they want you to figure things out yourself, which goes back to creating a plan. While it is good to get advice from someone with experience, it’s crucial to do your own research and create a four year plan that you’re comfortable with. My first year, I really didn’t know anything about picking courses, but in my second year, it is my favorite task. 

3. Learn what works for you

It’s  important to create a schedule and find a way to manage your time that’s the most productive for you. I figured out pretty quickly what works for me in both of these regards. Using this information not only ensures that I’m going to complete all my work but also have the time to be able to give it my all.

College is a learning process – literally and figuratively. I truly feel that in the last two years, I’ve grown as a person, have learned what I like and how I want to succeed in college. It’s scary that it goes by so fast, and I’m almost positive that I am going to miss it when I graduate.

Priyal Desai

Wisconsin '25

I am a student at UW Madison studying psychology and political science, hoping to pursue a career in law! I love to meet new people and explore new things!!