12 Ways to Get into the Holiday Spirit During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I hate to say it, but finals season is officially upon us. After the lovely break that we spent with our friends and families over Thanksgiving, nothing is more dreadful than having to face the reality of the impending assessments that can make or break our GPA. My apologies if I’ve stressed you out — but unfortunately, this is a one-way road that we’re all about to be on, and it might be best to accept it sooner rather than later! With that being said, our entire December is filled with constant studying and preparing for our unavoidable finals. So, where does that leave time to get into the holiday spirit? One might think that it’s impossible to focus on anything but finals; however, I’m here to give you a list of the 12 ways to get into the holiday spirit while also taking time to be focused during the chaotic mess that is the end of the semester!

1. Listen to Holiday Music on the Way to Class

On your bundled-up walks to class, it might help you feel more festive if you have a Christmas playlist that you can listen to on your way to class. From lecture hall to lecture hall it might be a constant bore to hear honking cars or fellow loud, stressed out undergraduates scream across the street, so take some time to plug in your headphones on the way to your next class, and hum along to some of your favorite Christmas classics. Some of my favorites include the ever-so-cozy “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole and the festive “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.”

2. Cozy Up to Study Material in a Warm Coffee Shop

We all need a proper study place for finals, and some choose College Library, the cages in Memorial or a desolate place in that random building that no one ever goes in. To make your study space festive, why not head to a coffee shop in Madison and cozy up to their fireplace with your laptop and your abundant study material? Feel free to bring a blanket too – no one’s judging, especially when it’s finals and holiday season.

3. Wear Holiday Socks to Class

Just in case you haven’t noticed yet, Madison is in the midst of its winter, and let me tell you… IT’S COLD. With temperatures lower than 30°F every single day, it’s absolutely essential to bundle up. Wearing your hat and coat is one thing this winter, but why not keep your feet warm with festive holiday socks? Slip on a pair before you’re on your way for the day, and before you know it you’ll be in the holiday spirit in no time with this low-effort task to be extra festive.

4. Throw a Candy Cane in your Coffee

Holiday drinks from Starbucks or any coffee shop can get expensive and can sometimes be inconvenient. If you’re in a rush or need to pull an all-nighter, brew some coffee in your dorm or apartment and pop a candy cane in there to get the feeling of a festive drink in an effortless fashion. Even if you’re not a coffee drinker, throw it into a warm drink like your tea, milk or hot chocolate and you’re in the holiday spirit!

5. Wear an Ugly Holiday Sweater to Class

To really get you in the mood for the festive season, take the opportunity to wear your ugly holiday gear to class! Not only does this allow you the chance to be warm and prepped for the cold weather, but you get the opportunity to be in the holiday spirit in another low-effort way!

6. Bake some cookies when you’re stressed

I don’t know about you, but for me, I’m bound to be completely and utterly stressed this holiday season. With stress comes times to “come down” from it, so maybe you can take a minor break and make some holiday cookies to de-stress. After making them, you can get back to work and focus, but now with a little snack to hold you over this tough finals season. However, don’t forget about the cookies in the oven, or we could have a bigger problem.

7. Take a Breather and Watch a Holiday Movie

When finals start to feel like too much to handle, it’s okay to take a break and relax from all the stress this finals season —  just breathe and watch a holiday movie! Don’t take so many of these breaks to the point where you end up doing nothing, but also ensure that you’re balancing your needs as a student. In the meantime, take a second and cozy up to a holiday movie to get in the spirit and then head back to studying. It’s all about balance here, ladies.

8. Plan Your Gifts Ahead of Time

One thing that I know can be tough about this season is that there’s not enough time to plan or go out and purchase gifts for all the people that we’d want to get gifts for. One way to approach this problem is to plan ahead with our list. I know this is so much easier said than done, but maybe if you’re on one of your study breaks, make a note on your phone with a list of all the people you want to give gifts to. Then, by their name, write something that you think would be perfect for them. From there, whenever you drop by the store or head home after finals, you can take care of all of those gifts then. This way you can still be thoughtful about your gifts without spending too much time and effort on gift-giving when finals should be the focus.

9. Light a Holiday Candle While Studying

Another easy way to get into the holiday spirit is to light a holiday candle while you’re studying immensely for finals to set a cozy, yet calming mood to fit the study vibe. This ultimately allows you the freedom to study in the most optimal setting, while getting in the holiday spirit.

10. Have a Holiday Study Party

Just like you, all of your friends are going to be studying just as hard for their up-and-coming finals, so one beneficial tip for de-stressing during finals season is to have a holiday study party or social. Maybe everyone can bring some snacks and you can have a light holiday playlist playing in the background — just a festive little get-together before your impending finals.

11. Snuggle Up With Some Extra Blankets for Bed or Studying

Now that it’s winter, the weather has gotten MUCH colder which means that you definitely need more layers than before. Now that it’s the holiday season, we can take the time to cozy up with more blankets. This might be before bed or while you’re studying, but whatever the occasion this finals season, grab a couple extra blankets and you can cozy up in preparation for finals season.

12. Relax for a Moment and Remember that it’s the Holiday Season

Finals can be super daunting and so scary, but just remember it’s the holiday season. Soon enough (after some stressful times), you’ll be with your family and friends, and the holidays will be here before you know it. Again, I know this is so much easier said than done, but taking just a little extra time for yourself during this stressful period could really enhance your mood for the holidays! Relax for a second, and remember that the holidays are coming soon!

I hope this list eased your tension on the upcoming finals season, but take some time to do some of these things and you’re well on your way to being festive and in the holiday spirit!

Kailla Sam

Wisconsin

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!