11 Things You’ll Relate to as an Introvert in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Starting college is difficult for everyone, but the loud, busy atmosphere provides its own unique set of challenges for introverted students. Luckily, if you’re one of them, you’re not alone! Here are 11 things you’ll (probably) relate to if you’re an introvert making your way through college.

Making friends was hard at first

UW is a huge campus full of extroverted people who all seem to make friends effortlessly… right? Eventually, you’ll realize this isn’t the case for everyone, and you’ll find your own group of people who you feel comfortable with.

You may not want to go to all the parties, but you still want to be invited

Somehow, laying in bed alone watching Netflix is much more rewarding when you know you could have been somewhere more interesting.

Social media FOMO is real

When you’re browsing Instagram in your bed and images of parties, crop tops and copious amounts of alcohol fill your feed, it can be easy to feel left out. Just remember that no one’s life is as glamorous or interesting as their Instagram feed makes it seem.

You don’t mind eating alone

Sometimes listening to music or scrolling through Pinterest is far more relaxing than trying to make small talk between classes.

You’re hoping college is when you’ll finally stop being labeled as “quiet”

There’s nothing wrong with being quiet, but it can be discouraging when people use it as a defining personality trait. Luckily, whether you’re new to campus or not, a large college is a great place to find a fresh start and step out of your comfort zone.

Having a private room is worth it

Being able to return to your own space at the end of a long day makes a huge difference, as does spending quiet nights singing to your own music in your pajamas.

You’ve found somewhere on campus to escape from everything

With frequent events, impressive school spirit and an undeniable party culture, the UW campus can be overwhelming. Thankfully, there are also many opportunities to explore nature, find a quiet study library study spot or sip coffee in your favorite café.

You’re secretly grateful for large lectures

Sure, lectures may not be the most exciting part of your day. But everything is easier when all you have to do is sit quietly and take notes.

You’ve lost points in discussion sections for “participation”

You know the answer, of course, but… do you really have to say it? Out loud?

It’s difficult to find enough “me time”

Balancing classes, jobs and socializing is overwhelming for any college student, but trying to schedule in time for yourself makes it much more difficult. However, for some of us, it’s necessary to stay sane.

People will wonder why you decided to attend the largest school in the state

And sometimes, you’ll wonder too.

Eventually, though, you’ll find your place on campus, and the number and crowds will become much less intimidating. You’ll find ways to balance the campus atmosphere with your own personality.

Rachel Betters

Wisconsin '22

Rachel is a junior studying graphic design at UW. In her free time, she loves traveling, writing, and talking about fonts.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.