10 Ways to Keep the Spirit of Summer Alive During School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Summer is my favorite season, and it always go by way too fast. Once school starts and the cold arrives in full force, we all need to keep the memory of summer alive. Here are some tips and tricks to keep you afloat for the next nine months.

1. Invest in a fruity, summery body wash scent

Freshly cut grass. Sunscreen. Summer is a time that has plenty of associated smells. Keep the spirit of summer alive with a fruity and light body wash. Try Olay Orchid & Black Currant.

1. Maintain that carefree attitude

Summer is always my “me, me, me” season. Every season should be a “me” season. It’s important to do what makes you happy and know what you do and do not have time for. Let this attitude roll over into fall and winter and treat yo self like the queen you are.

1. Keep sundresses in the rotation with a fall twist

Sundresses are a staple of summer. Some might say that fall has a completely new wardrobe, but I disagree. Throw on your favorite summer sundress with some booties,  a long cardigan or a jean jacket, and you get a taste of summer with a fall twist.

1. Make a playlist with all your favorite summer jams and listen to it every time you’re getting ready

I listen to music so much more during summer — it’s a different experience when you can drive with your windows down. Make a list of all your favorite summer jams, especially those that have good memories attached. Every time you listen, you’ll feel like you’re back in summer, and you’ll dance accordingly.  

1. Invest in a light therapy box  

The best thing about summer is how long the sun stays out. Try a light therapy box ($$$) or a salt lamp ($)  as a way to counteract the dull and dark weather outside your window.

1. Eat ice cream constantly (but probably inside)

There’s a reason ice cream sales increase during the summer. Even though it’s cold outside, you can still kick back with some Ben and Jerry’s in front of a fire. Mix the best parts of summer and fall: ice cream and fireplaces.

1. Listen to the Chainsmokers every day

The Chainsmokers were my summer soundtrack — as they keep releasing new music, keep listening and remember that one summer night you heard “Don’t Let Me Down” 10 times in the space of 2 hours. Ah, the memories.

1. Go outside

Until the weather drops below 40 degrees, keep sitting outside and getting that Vitamin D from the sun. Cold weather always makes me feel sluggish and want to stay inside, so put off those winter blues for as long as possible.

1. Wear bright lipsticks

Coral lipstick has been boxed into only one season: summer. It’s unfair to coral and it’s unfair to all of us to relegate one of my favorite lipstick colors to only 3 months out of the year. Incorporate bright lipsticks into your fall outfits for a pop of summer freshness.

1. Drink fruity drinks

If you put an umbrella into a drink it’s automatically fresh, fun, and summery. Sipping on a blended beverage with a fun umbrella in it will bring back the memories from the previous summer and hopefully take off your mind from the looming cold.

As summer draws to a close and reality sets in again, use these 10 ways to hold you over until next summer. I know I will.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!