10 Things I Learned in College That Weren’t Taught in a Textbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

After four years of blood, sweat and beers, my college career is coming to a close. Looking back on the countless hours I spent in the library over the course of the past four years, I realize that there are many things I’ve learned in college that I will probably never use in my life. (I’m talking about you science course requirements). Despite the formulas or theories I may never put to use down the road, college sure has taught me a few life lessons that I couldn’t have learned anywhere else.

Sometimes you just have to puke and rally.

I think we’ve all learned this one the hard way, but I also think this life lesson can be broadened beyond the scope of yacking after a few too many tequila shots. There have been many times where I have found myself getting hung up about being rejected from a job, receiving a bad grade, or dwelling on the stupid things I did while drunk the night before. But you know what, life goes on, and sometimes you just need to swallow your pride (probably shouldn’t swallow your puke though) and rally.

It’s ok to not have your life figured out.

When I came to college my freshman year, I hadn’t the slightest clue what I wanted to do with my life. At the time, everyone seemed to know what their major was, yet I felt beyond lost and confused. But sure enough, with the help of my advisor and involvement in student organizations (shout out to Her Campus), I figured out what my passions were. Looking back on it, I think of how easy life was freshman year and question why I stressed so much about picking a major. As a soon to be graduate entering the work force, I try to remind myself of how miniscule my worries seemed four years ago. I didn’t have my life figured out then, I might not have it completely figured out now, and that’s 100% ok. Fake it ‘til you make it.

Be nice to everyone, you never know what someone is going through.

If there’s one thing you will never regret in your life, it’s being nice to people. Often times we get too caught up in our own problems that we forget about how others might be feeling. Everybody has different battles they are facing and rather than promoting gossip or hate, we should try our best to make people as happy as possible. 

You’re going to make mistakes, and that’s okay.

If I had a dollar for every mistake I’ve made over the course of the past four years, I’d probably have my tuition paid for (ok that may be a bit excessive, but you get the point). The important thing about making mistakes though is that you don’t dwell on them and wallow away in self-pity, but that you learn from them. College (and life in general) is one giant learning experience, so the best you can do is admit you screwed up, try to not do it again, and move on with your life. And remember in the wise words of Hannah Montana, nobody’s perfect.

Take advantage of opportunities you may never get again.

College is full of countless opportunities that are only available to you during those four short years. Go and talk to your professors. When else will you have the opportunity to converse with such knowledgeable individuals? Go to badger games. When else will you be able to Jump Around in the student section? (And when else will it be socially acceptable to drink a warm Natty Lite at 7 a.m.?) So college students, always remember to carpe diem.

Group projects suck, but they will help prepare you for future jobs.

I know I’m not the only one that cringes when a professor says, “group project” on the first day of a new semester. Sure they’re a complete pain in the ass and most of the time you’re probably the one doing the majority of the work, but there is (some) value to them. In nearly all of the job interviews I’ve had, I’ve referenced specific instances from working with a group on a project. Looking back, I might not have gotten those internships had I not had those experiences. Not to mention, working in the real world is basically one giant group project, as you’ll have to learn how to communicate and work with coworkers on a daily basis. So although it took me four years to appreciate the significance in these, I can assure you they will benefit you in the long run.

Don’t take your parents for granted.

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve always been pretty close with my parents, but I definitely didn’t appreciate them in high school nearly as much as I do now. The great thing about your relationship with your parents in college is that instead of being embarrassed by them like you were in high school, you become friends with them. Some of my favorite memories in college are the ones where my parents helped kill the keg on a game day or sang karaoke with my friends and I on a Saturday night. Your parents are the people who are going to be the most proud of your accomplishments, will unconditionally love you, and will be there for you when everything seems to be going wrong. Appreciate any time you get to spend with them and appreciate them for all they have given you.

Spend your money on experiences, not material things.

While college is the time when we will probably be the most broke in our lives, what little money you may have should be spent on experiences. I wouldn’t trade any of the money I spent going to concerts, football games or road trips with my roommates. Those are some of the best memories I’ve had over the course of my four years, and I’m going to remember those far more than I’ll remember the money I spent on clothes.

Don’t be afraid to try new things and get our of your comfort zone every now and then.

If you ever feel like you’re stuck in a routine, go out and try something new. Go to a new workout class, sign up for a random elective, or join a student org that interests you. Over the course of my college career, I’ve taken some classes outside of my realm of interest, like opera or cartography. Sure I may not use any of the information I learned from those classes in the future, but those experiences allowed me to have a more open mind and try something I had no prior knowledge of. New experiences may be scary, but they have the ability to help us grow and broaden our horizons. Who knows, you might even find a hidden passion of yours.

Cherish every moment with your friends

Cheesy as it is, my Mom always tells me, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” This couldn’t ring more true with regards to my 7 roommates (and best friends) and the friends that I’ve met in college. My college experience wouldn’t have been the same without you and I am thankful for each and every one of you. I can’t wait for the days that I can tell my kids all the crazy college stories I’ve accumulated over the years (the PG-13 ones that is). Make sure you soak up every moment with your college friends because these are some of the greatest people you’ll meet in your life.

Well college, it’s been real. Thanks for the memories, the good times and the life lessons.