Write Your Own Love Story This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, there is a lot more than just love in the air. The pressure to find that special someone to spend the evening with and getting the most enchanting goodnight kiss is circling around. But for the first time, you need to forget about that pressure and forget about trying to live up to the unrealistic standards of the holiday.

It seems like all of my life, I’ve been looking for love—I was looking for the perfect guy, the perfect moment and the perfect kiss. I wished for nothing more than those magical feelings that make your heart flutter a million times a minute and the moments that make the smile on your face permanent. I just wanted someone I could share everything with, someone that would walk with me in the rain and laugh at my corny jokes. I wanted a love story.

But for the first time in my life, I don’t think I want to have a love story…not yet, anyway. And you shouldn’t want a fairytale love story either.

Instead of trying to write your own love story this Valentine’s Day, write down the reasons why you love yourself. Try to remind yourself that you’re beautiful, confident and capable. Remember that Valentine’s Day is just another day of the year. Focus on falling in love with yourself, instead of falling in love with someone else.

Your love story will be written eventually, but for now, live your life as freely as possible. You’re young, you’re beautiful and you have a million blank pages to fill with new memories. Embrace who you are and never doubt yourself.

No matter what this Valentine’s Day has in store for you, have an amazing night. Press pause on your love story and treat yourself to some chocolate…you deserve it!

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy
I am Carolyn Rennix, a CoFounder of Her Campus Winthrop and a senior mass communication major at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina. I am also the editor-in-chief of Winthrop's weekly student newspaper, The Johnsonian. I enjoy feature writing, photography and blogging -- all while drinking coffee at local shops of course. I was raised in a small seaside town, but I plan to travel and see what this world has in store for a young journalist.