This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As this semester comes to an end, I spend many days reflecting on my junior year as a whole. I look back at last semester and think of what I may have done differently or what I wish I knew back then. While pursuing my education, I’ve realized that growing and evolving is not a linear course. There were and still are many nights I question why my journey seems so difficult or why certain obstacles come at the worst times. Don’t get me wrong though, there have been plenty of experiences I will cherish for the rest of my life. I was fortunate enough to meet some of the most genuine people I’ve ever met, individuals who are truly beautiful inside and out. I was able to overcome troubles that seemed insurmountable and laugh at things I would have had a breakdown over before. I understand now that each academic year serves its purpose whether I realize it or not. With each new chapter that opens and closes I am able to share my experiences and unlock parts of myself I never knew were there. Here are a few things I learned my junior year : 

Don’t forget to have fun

College does not have to be one hundred percent work all the time. You owe it to yourself to take a break. Life is way too short so cherish the joyful memories you create with the ones you love. Prioritize taking care of your mind and body. Create healthy habits and routines that reinforce a strong work and social life balance. Life is what you make it right?

Keep Pushing

There have been plenty of times I’ve wanted to quit… like PLENTY of times. While the urge to give up would plague my thoughts all it could, I still put in the effort. Even if I didn’t know how or when certain tasks were going to be done, I put my mind to it and gave it my best shot. That’s all you can do sometimes. Nobody is perfect, off days are normal. What kept me going despite the chaos around was the end goal. My big picture is way more important than my temporary doubt or fear. 

Patience is a virtue 

I can be a bit impulsive sometimes, so patience isn’t always my forte. I’ve really been working on staying calm when things don’t go as planned. Doing this has opened my eyes to opportunities I may not have been able to claim if I had rushed to make a decision or dismissed it completely due to my own frustration. Teaching myself how to be patient has kept me humble and allows me to fully examine my dialogue and behavior in a more thoughtful and effective way. 

Reach for the stars

While this may come off extremely cheesy, don’t stop chasing your dreams… seriously. Keeping your passions in mind when pursuing anything will help you pace yourself because you know exactly why you’re working towards whatever it is you’re going after. The life I know I deserve cannot be achieved without work so while I may fall short or struggle, my thoughts of what’s to come in the future keeps me grounded. It’s what keeps me encouraged and makes me want to go ten times harder.

Being a junior in college means my time in academia is almost up. While this can be scary, I have been able to learn so much about myself and how far I have come. I’m proud of myself for striving towards the most elevated version of me I can be. The work is never truly done but I can definitely pat myself on the back for turning my L’s into lessons this year. I wish nothing but the same for you. 

Yasmine Mobley

Winthrop '23

Hey everyoneee, I’m a content creator, future business owner and aspiring fashion designer!