What to do if You Want to Vote but Don’t Like the Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

So, I typically try to stay away from political articles, but this year, I feel that it’s a must and I think we can all agree that this election is the worst. I’m going to be able to vote in a presidential election for the first time this year, and at the beginning of this election, I was so excited! I couldn’t wait to vote! But now, I’m not excited and I’m not happy–I’m only discouraged.

However, I still feel that it is my duty as a citizen of the United States of America to cast my vote, to raise my voice, to make my opinions known and to pursue the betterment of this nation. But how can I do that with the candidates we have? Well…I can’t tell you who to vote for, but I can tell you what I’m doing to make myself feel better about this year.

Understand that either way, this one person cannot change this nation alone.

Okay so contrary to popular belief, whomever is chosen as our nation’s president will not magically be able to solve all of our problems alone. Whoa, shocker! Once we get past that, I think we can all make our choices with a clearer mind, and once we are aware that this person is extremely important, but is still human, we can all focus on the issues at hand. Of course, this is a big deal! However, we need to realize that no one is perfect. No one is even close to perfect. So, we can’t think that our new president will solve all of our nation’s problems in a matter of four or eight years.  

Put aside the rhetoric and mudslinging. Vote for the candidate whose values align with your own.

Ever notice that a lot of political ads and arguments don’t show the good things about one candidate, but rather all of the bad things he or she knows about the opponent? Well personally, I’m a bit tired of that. I just want to focus on the actual issues and each candidate’s stance on those issues. If one candidate’s values happen to match up with my own, then great! Why can’t it be that simple?

Don’t let others make you feel that you must vote for the candidate they like. Think for yourself!

Want to know something that’s great about our system of government? Every one has their own chance to share their opinions, so when others try to sway you in the direction of their candidate, guess what? You are under no obligation to agree with them! You have your OWN vote, and therefore your OWN choice to make—you do not have to agree with anyone else about who to vote for or what party to join. You have a voice!

Educate yourself on the issues!

How can you feel prepared to vote if you’re not staying educated and updated on the issues? That is all.

Think long and hard.

Obviously this isn’t the easiest of decisions and it will require some thought. Pray about it. Think about it. Become aware of your own biases and pre-conceived notions. Do what you have to do. Believe me, I get it—it’s hard. This is a decision that you can’t make in a snap like what to have for dinner or what clothes to wear that day. This is something that requires lots of thought and evaluation.

Be confident in yourself as an American!

The last thing to keep in mind is that voting is a right, something that people in other nations of the world do not have. We Americans are privileged and we should be thankful for this right. We shouldn’t take it for granted or waste our opportunity to make a difference. We should do our duty and trust that our fellow citizens are doing their duty. We won’t always agree, and we may not like the choice for president, but we should be thankful for our rights and exercise those rights confidently!

This isn’t an easy choice, and I can’t tell you who to choose! But I can tell you that if you stay educated and updated, stay calm, and really look at the issues, you will be able to choose the candidate with which you agree most. Go exercise your rights! Happy voting, Collegiettes! 

Allison is a sophomore at Winthrop University where she majors in English and has a concentration in Secondary Education. On campus, Allison is very involved-she is an Honors student, Admissions Ambassador, and a member of Her Campus Winthrop, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, and Ratio Christi. Allison loves her family and friends very much, and tries to spread the love of Jesus wherever she goes. In her free time, Allison loves to travel (Paris, France is her favorite!), read classics like Pride and Prejudice, and drink iced coffee while binge-watching New Girl on Netflix. Follow her on Instagram to see her attempts to be artistic @allisondsnipes
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.