Victor Volious: Homecoming King 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Victor posing this Homecoming Queen Ashley Collins and President Mahony and his wife Laura

Name: Victor Volious

Year: Senior

Major: Mass Communication

Hometown: Columbia, South Carolina 

How does it feel to be this year’s Homecoming King?

It’s an AMAZING feeling! I am so thankful to God for this blessing and for everyone who voted for me. All the love and support I received during campaigning was overwhelming. I will do my best to represent Winthrop in a positive way!

What brought you to Winthrop?

I knew that I wanted to come to Winthrop since the 8th grade when I heard that they had a great music program. That’s when I made up my mind and decided that Winthrop was going to my home. (I know that this might sound crazy since I am not a music major now.)

What all are you involved in on campus?

I am a Resident Assistant, the Vice President of Winthrop University Association of Black Journalist, DSU member, and I also have my own radio show called the Lowdown.

What do you plan on doing with your MCOM degree?

I plan on going into radio and hopefully work my way up to having my own radio show.

How do you balance school and extracurricular activities?

I am still learning how to master balancing school and extracurricular things, but all I do is take it one day at a time.

What is your favorite spot on campus?

Digs! There is so much you can do and there is always something going on in Digs. My friends are always around and we just hang out and share a couple laughs. And lets not forget the food like Popeye’s and Miso!

What is your dream job?

My dream job would be to have my own talk show where I would talk about important topics such as sliding in to people DMs and Mariah Carey and then end my show with “AND YOU GET A CAR AND YOU GET A CAR, AND YOU GET A CAR!”

Here’s a fun one: if you had a million dollars, what would you do with the money?

I would pay my tithes and offering so the Lord won’t get me! Then I would pay my tuition so Winthrop can leave me alone! I would buy my parents a new house and cars. Finally I would invest my money so I can make more money!

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!