Life > Experiences

Valentine’s Day Ideas That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and if you are anything like me, you’re struggling to come up with ideas that are simultaneously cute, fun, and affordable. There are plenty of ways to spend the holiday of love, but if you’re trying to keep it cute on a budget, that can become increasingly difficult. However, there are ways to have a cute and unique Valentine’s Day with your special someone while also not draining your bank account.  

1. Make flower arrangements for each other  

Whether you prefer fake flowers or real ones, this is a cute and simple idea that won’t get too expensive if you stay within budget. You can hit up a local craft store like Michael’s for some cute fake flowers, various adornments, and ribbons to make your partner a personalized flower bouquet. Bonus points if you do this activity together and then surprise one another with your creations. If you want to get fancy, consider going to a flower arrangement shop and picking out flowers together to make one giant bouquet that you can decorate your dinner table or bedside with! 

1. Craft Something 

Rather than opting for the giant Russell Stover chocolates and pre-made Valentine’s Day cards, get crafty and make your own present for your significant other. There are tons of adorable Valentine’s crafts out there available on Pinterest and various other corners of the internet. A personal favorite of mine is a TikTok creator called @stainedhands who creates unique crafts for various occasions and holidays to make for your loved ones.  

1. Have a cozy day/evening in  

Staying in does not always have to be a drag—there are plenty of fun bonding activities you can do with your partner in the comfort of your own home. Plus, you get some private quality time and this is perfect if you are introverted or anxious in social situations. If you enjoy cooking or baking, you can whip up a Valentine’s meal rather than going out to spend at a restaurant. If cooking is not your forte, you can easily door-dash something. Some pizza places will even deliver it in the shape of a heart! You and your partner can decide on what to do—binge a show, or a movie, or simply sit and relax in each other’s company.  

1. Go Outside  

Even though Valentine’s falls in February and is colder than ice outside at times, going outside for a bit with your partner can be a great bonding activity! Catch a sunset, go for a walk on a nature reserve, or opt for a picnic (but clean up afterward!). This is also a low-maintenance date idea in case you and your significant other are busy with school, work, or other responsibilities.  

1. Volunteer at an animal shelter  

What better way to spend the holiday of love with adorable animals? Find a local shelter near you that is looking to take volunteers and spend a couple of hours with animals that need some love. You and your partner may even walk away wanting to adopt a furry friend at the end, too. If local shelters are not looking to take active volunteers, consider dropping off needed items for donation such as food, blankets, soap, and litter.  

While there’s an entire laundry list of ways you could spend Valentine’s Day, what’s most important is doing what feels right for you and your person. It does not have to be an extravagant, grand plan for the holiday to mean something.  

Abigail Smith

Winthrop '24

Howdy! My name's Abigail, but you can call me Abby. I'm a 3rd-year student at Winthrop University, majoring in Elementary Education. I love cartoons, history, video games, animals, horseback riding, reading, and of course writing!