This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Flawless foundation, pink blush, glittering bronzer, long lashes, and glossy lips.  If you’re a little something like me, there’s nothing you love more than a fresh face of makeup.  We see it as the perfect tool to enhance our beauty.  

And then, there are “the others.”  Those who are convinced makeup is the root to all evil and deception.  They view it as a form of “black magic” that women use to trick people; some kind of false advertisement. 

As much as I would like to disagree, I won’t be biased.  I will admit that there are some women who are capable of making drastic changes to their face with the help of foundation and concealer, however, this is not the case for all makeup lovers. 

The truth about wearing makeup is I use it to enhance my beauty, NOT transform myself.  I love the way foundation gives my skin an extra glow, or the way mascara and eyeliner make my eyes pop.  I have enough confidence to wear a little, a lot, or none at all, and know that I am still just as beautiful.

The truth about wearing makeup is I am not insecure.  Wearing makeup does not mean I hate myself, so please stop giving me looks of pity and reciting self-esteem quotes. You may think its shallow, and you may even call it boring, but I don’t have to feel the same way you do.  Putting on makeup is fun for me; getting dolled up is something I enjoy doing.  I know my natural beauty and I embrace it, but sometimes, I want to be Sasha Fierce.

The truth about wearing makeup is I wear it for ME, not you.  All that matters is that I am satisfied with myself, and the way I look, whether that be with makeup or without. So, the next time you run into a makeup lover, don’t criticize their look, or tell them that they look better without “all that makeup.”  Accept them for who they are, appreciate what they love, and let them be their own kind of beautiful.

My name is Joie Harrison and I am a native of Summerville, South Carolina. I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Mass Communication at Winthrop University with a focus in broadcast, and a minor in Marketing. The past three years at Winthrop University has provided me with excellent hands on experience, as well as a number of helpful resources that continue to build me a solid foundation in Video Production. I have had the pleasure of producing, filming, and editing my own short videos, and plan to make it my career in the near future.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.