cell phone with confusing messages
cell phone with confusing messages
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

While we’re stuck in quarantine you’ve been texting this super amazing person until one day they responded to your good morning text at eleven o’clock…at night. You think nothing of it because, hey, everyone has a life outside of their phones. That is until not hearing from them goes from all day, to all week, to once a month and then never again. It’s like they fell off the face of the earth and disappeared into thin air; ghosting. Now if you’ve never heard the term before or never experienced it (lucky you), ghosting is simply when someone abandons anything or anyone without disclosing any reason as to why. However, things always happen for a reason, right? Well here are 4 reasons why your quarantine bae has gone MIA:

1. They may actually be busy. 

a woman sits at a wooden desk writing in a notebook. there is an imac in front of her.
Retha Ferguson | Pexels

They may have taken on more responsibilities with school, picked up a second job, have to babysit more often, etc. The possibilities are endless.

2. They may be dealing with life.

Monica Stressed
Giphy
Especially now during times such as these. Life is known for throwing curveballs and we don’t always know how to deal.

3. Their interest doesn’t stop at you.

Love Jones / New Line Cinema
Now would probably be the best time to distinguish between dating and dating exclusively, which are two very different things. 

4. They’re just not that into you. 

And that’s okay! We aren’t always going to be everyone’s cup of tea. 

The most important thing to remember when dealing with anyone who has randomly stopped talking to you is to not question yourself. As with people who have a hard time dealing with rejection, on the other end of the spectrum, there are one’s who have a hard time dishing out the reject. Most of the time it’s a personal problem (yes, them not being interested in you is a personal problem because you’re the best thing out since sliced bread) and they just don’t know how to communicate that with you. It is best not to assume or harass them but rather to demonstrate grace and continue on. They’ll come around eventually and if not, someone else (with better communication skills) will.

Ashayla Pollard

Winthrop '21

Winthrop University Class of 2021