Professor Dustin M. Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Dr. Dustin M. Hoffman has become the English Department’s pride and joy since coming to teach at Winthrop in August, 2014. With his enthusiasm for literature, his friendly personality and his intelligent writing advice, Hoffman has won the hearts of many Winthrop students. Her Campus had the opportunity to sit down with him and learn about not only his accomplishments in life but also the inspiration for his writing.

Name: Dustin M. Hoffman

Hometown: Alma, Michigan

Occupation: Professor of Creative Writing and Literature at Winthrop University

Crazy-amazing fact: He has an MFA in fiction and a PhD in Creative Writing, and he’s only 33 years old.

Why did you decide to come teach at Winthrop?

It was a great position. I had the opportunity to do a lot with creative writing. They wanted someone who could get very involved in the program, someone to shape it. Also, the climate was enticing. Something I really liked about Winthrop was that the students are from the working class. There’s diversity. And people with diverse backgrounds have better stories to tell.

What do you love about teaching creative writing and literature?

I love reading and introducing students to stories that kill me. My students get to read my favorite stories. I love helping students find their voice. Also, I get to play with language: the nerdy grammar, exciting verbs and sprawling sentences.

Who are your favorite authors and what are your favorite books?

George Saunders is definitely one of my favorite authors. He writes short stories. His most recent one is Tenth of December. Kurt Vonnegut is also one of my favorites. Slaughterhouse-five, Cat’s Cradle, Breakfast of Champions… Karen Russell, who wrote Vampires in the Lemon Grove. Tony Morrison. Donald Barthelme. Ralph Ellison. Invisible Man is my favorite novel ever. (note: it’s by Ralph Ellison, not H. G. Wells).

When was your first story or poem published?

In 2008. Since then a lot has happened. A year later one of the best magazines ever published my work: Black Warrior Review.

Dr. Hoffman has published a plethora of stories and poems in various magazines since 2008. 

Here is a link to one of his awesome short stories

When did you know that you wanted to be a professor and writer?

It happened in college during the last two years of my undergrad. Just from having great professors and reading a lot. I had a good teacher and good workshop experiences that solidified what I wanted to do. 

Do you have any hobbies outside of writing?

I play guitar for my daughter. I run a little bit. I watch Spongebob with my daughter. I just saw the Spongebob movie, the first movie I’ve seen in theaters in two years. It was great.

'ello. I'm a sophomore at Winthrop University, majoring in English-Creative Writing. I'm currently writing a magical realism novel trilogy, which I hope to finish by the time I graduate. J. K. Rowling is my Muse and Lemony Snicket is my inspiration. I actually love singing and playing piano more than I like writing. I'm an incurable introvert, so I spend most of my free time reading books, sleeping, and watching Netflix. I don't get out much... I say lolz too much. idk
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.