Popular Essential Oils for Hair, Skin, and Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Using essential oils can be very beneficial for the health of hair, skin, and nails with the natural properties they contain. Essential oils can also provide a natural glow and improve the overall health of the hair, skin, and nails if used properly. There are so many different oils to pick from so how do you know which one to choose?

Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree is such a great product with many benefits and uses. In the salon I worked in, Tea Tree Shampoo by Paul Mitchell was a very popular product for exfoliating and fully cleansing the scalp adding thickness and beautiful shine to the hair. Tea tree oil can be used to thoroughly cleanse and improve the overall health of the scalp and can also fight malassezia which is the fungus that causes dandruff. With it’s anti-inflammatory properties it can help tackle those acne breakouts and may reduce redness and scarring. Besides the multiple uses tea tree has for hair, skin, and nails, tea tree can also be used as an insect repellant!

Castor Oil

Castor oil is a popular multi purpose oil that improves the overall health of the hair, skin, and nails. Castor oil is primarily known for hair growth on eye lashes and eyebrows. Although castor oil can add fullness to hair and stimulate blood flow of the follicles, it does not guarantee growth. It protects the hair and can speed up the growth phase that the hair follicles undergo. Using this oil for eyelashes and eyebrows can add nourishment and provide a more defined look without the use of mascara or eyebrow gel. Castor oil can also be used to restore moisture in dry skin, condition the cuticles of nails, and tame fly away hairs. 100% pure, cold-pressed castor oil works best because it is more natural containing more nutrients and benefits for hair, skin, and nails.

Lavender Oil

Lavender oil is versatile with so many benefits for hair, skin, and nails. Lavender oil can help stimulate hair growth by exfoliating the scalp which removes any toxins from the follicles. It can also help fight dandruff and lessen a itchy scalp. It can also be used for dry cuticles to restore to moisture and strengthen them. Aside from all the benefits lavender oil has on beauty, it can also help with stress, anxiety, and depression. However, lavender has a strong scent which can be nauseating to some. There are many more essential oils that have similar benefits if you dislike the smell of lavender.

Vitamin C Oil

Vitamin C oil is important for skin care. Using a vitamin C oil can help protect the skin cells from damage from UV exposure from the sun. It can also even out skin complexion by lightening hyperpigmentation such as brown spots. Vitamin C also stimulates the production of collagen which is a protein that gives your skin a youthful look and prevents the skin from sagging. It can also help prevent or diminish fine lines or wrinkles. Vitamin C is beneficial for all skin types and can be used at any age.

Vitamin E Oil

Vitamin E oil is a great for strengthening nails and promoting nail health. It can help reduce breakage, prevent yellowing in nails, and restore brittles nails. Applying a few drops of vitamin E oil can moisturize the cuticles and stimulate growth but also keep in main nail health relies on water intake. Vitamin E is also beneficial for skin health and appearance. Using it at night as an overnight anti- aging treatment especially around the eyes can reduce puffiness and help to maintain a youthful appearance. There are so many other ways to use vitamin E oil. It is such a great oil overall for hair, skin, and nails.

Jojoba Oil

Jojoba is known for mimicking the sebum that skin produces so applying it to your skin can help with the over production of sebum by regulating it. Jojoba is light weight making it a great option for all skin types because of its ability to balance the moisture levels of the skin. It can also be used to relieve sun burns and regenerate the skin by reducing inflammation.

Ylang Ylang Oil

Ylang Ylang oil is a great oil for skin because of it’s hydrating properties that replenishing the skin and add nourishment. This oil is also a great option to regenerate cells on the epidermis because the natural antiseptic properties it has which helps to heal cuts and cracks especially common in dry skin. Ylang Ylang oil has a beautiful earthy sweet scent with notes of jasmine, banana, honey, and spice which can make it a great hair perfume. Ylang Ylang oil can be combined with apple cider vinegar and other ingredients such as coconut oil to help kill head lice.

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil not only smells amazing, but it also has so many amazing benefits. Coconut oil helps to strengthen cracked nails and restore the moisture to the cuticles. It can also add shine and moisture to the hair and tame frizz. Coconut oil can also be used as a diy face mask or diy makeup remover. Coconut oil contains fatty acids that help protect the skin from harmful bacteria making it a great oil for skin care when used in moderation. It can also be used as lotion, shaving cream, mouth freshener, lip gloss, and so much more. Using coconut oil as a shaving cream helps to protect the skin by adding intense moisture making the skin very soft. If you have a matte lipstick and want to make it glossy, adding coconut oil would work perfectly. The uses for coconut are endless!

When using essential oils make sure they are pure or natural and don’t apply more than what is needed. Applying too much oil to the skin or the hair can obstruct/clog the pores and follicles. I recommend mixing the oil with other ingredients such as a face mask or using a dropper vial to measure out the amount you will use. Before using any oil’s I recommend to do a patch test on a small area of skin to see if irritation or redness occurs to determine if you should use it or not. These oils are all so versatile but it is important to find what works best for you.

Hello my name is Marranda Coronilla. I am a licensed cosmetologist pursing my bachelors degree in Business Admin with a concentration in marketing and a minor in visual design. I love to share my insights and advice as a cosmetologist on beauty related topics.