An Open Letter to My Best Friend as She Decides to Transfer Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

College is a crazy time in most of our lives. We’re growing up, moving out, and often leaving behind all that is familiar in the hopes of finding and pursuing our lifelong passion. 

For many of us, this is the first time we’ve truly been away from our parents, our families, and our friends – for many of us, this is the first time we’ve been truly alone. While the struggles associated with college life seem to be incessantly increasing in both quantity and the level of frustration, it is comforting to know that many of us have a secure support system that not only makes us feel safe, but also makes us feel as if we are not alone. 

While my support system has always included my lifelong friends and family, upon entering college this system gained a very new and valuable member – my best friend

Best Friend,

Being randomly assigned to have you as my roommate during my first year of college was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Freshman year was a rollercoaster of ups and downs, my anxiety hit an all time high, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life, and I had my heart broken more times than I could count… despite all this, you never left my side. 

I could always count on you to go on last-minute shopping trips with me, to let me vent to you without objection, and to accompany me on countless late-night chicken nugget runs. Before I knew it, we were inseparable. Before I knew it, you became a part of me. I couldn’t imagine going through this chapter of my life without you, and I never thought I’d have to – until now

Plans have changed, goals have changed, and ultimately the path you want to take in life has changed. You want to transfer schools, and I have to say, I’m sad

I’m sad that I won’t be able to see you every day, I’m sad that I won’t randomly run into you walking around campus, but most importantly I’m sad that you didn’t tell me you were leaving

I’d always imagined that if something like this were to happen, I’d be the first person you’d tell. Even though it’s not the news I wanted to hear, I’d support you and help you through such a tough decision without a second thought – I’d be there for you

While I know that this decision wasn’t easy, and I very well may be the last person you’d want to hurt, I still wish we could have gone through this together, just like we’d gone through everything else. I wish you weren’t leaving, but more than that I hope you make the right decision, and find what is best for you. I understand that sometimes life takes us in a direction opposite of where we expect, and that can be extremely scary. Just know that no matter where you are, or what you’re doing, I’m only a phone call or text away. I love you with my whole entire heart, and I always will. 

Your friend, 

Nicholle 

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise." 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.