Melodies for a New Year and a New You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

One thing I realized that we (as individuals) find so appealing about the New Year is change. New Years serves as a new start – a clean slate, a new beginning, or whatever you want to call it. Pages are turned, lessons are learned, and a fresh chapter of your life begins. Take this opportunity to fulfill those inspirational quotes you wrote on your bathroom mirror last month when the demands of finals week had begun and you thought you’d finally seen what rock bottom looked like. Nothing describes these troubles and triumphs more accurately than the lyrics of a song. Music often provides the words that just don’t seem to roll off my tongue as easily as they should. I gathered a list of my favorite anthems to sing you into a year full of accomplished goals, sleepless nights and unforgettable moments, so curl up with your favorite four-legged friend and a cup of coffee to unwind while the chaos of another semester unravels. Whether you’re mending a broken heart, cradling young love, or simply making a toast to the new you, I am certain there is something here for you.

Dive head first into the possibilities that this new year has to offer. Keep your eyes beyond your horizon and your feet planted firmly on the ground. You have a life that is waiting to be lived, darling. 

1. “Young”– Air Review

2. “Worth Wondering”– Bronze Radio Return

3. “Almost There”– Opus Orange

4. “Be The Song”– Foy Vance

5. “Come Take My Hand”– The Royals

6. “Day Will Come”– Keane (one of my all-time favorites)

7. “Giant”– Matrimony 

8. “Go”– Avalanche City

9. “Wish Man”– Trevor Hall

10. “Kids”– Mikky Ekko

11. “Love Like This (Acoustic)”– Kodaline

12. “Midnight”– Coldplay

13. “Mother & Father”– Broods

14. “Need It”– Half Moon Run

15. “Thinking About You”– Typhoon 

16. “Stay Alive”– Jose Gonzalez

17. “I Lived”– OneRepublic

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.