Meet Liz Whitaker: Vice-President of Tri-Sigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.
Name: Elizabeth Whitaker (AKA Liz Whit)
Hometown: Pickens, South Carolina
Year: Senior
Major: Elementary Education

When I first met Liz Whit, I immediately developed a major girl crush. She is such a natural leader, so hardworking and has a killer GPA! Not to mention, she is gorgeous and I wish I could steal every black piece of clothing in her closet (which is the majority). She has a passion for her major and I have had the opportunity to see her  flourish in her future career.  Her easygoing, positive attitude is a treat to be around and can light up anyone’s day!

Meet the Vice President of Chapter Operations of Tri Sigma, the busiest bee, the newest One Direction fan, and my big; Liz Whit

Tell us about your past and current positions you hold in your sorority.
I’ve always been one to be in leadership positions (I held a leadership position for three of the four years I was in high school marching band. I was also the Editor of my high school paper my senior year), so it wasn’t a question whether or not I was going to be a leader in some sort in college. Since I didn’t join Tri Sigma until my sophomore year of college, I knew I wouldn’t have a lot of time to ease into leadership positions, so I just jumped into it as soon as I could. I filled out an application to be an officer only a few weeks into my new member process, and was elected by the nominating committee as the Education Director one whole week after my initiation. After my first year of learning the leadership ropes, I wanted to really help my chapter move ever forward, so I filled out my second application and was elected as the Vice President of Chapter Operations. The VP of Ops is in charge of making sure our chapter is accredited for the year and is able to function at a national level. Basically I keep the chapter running behind the scenes. 

Seems like a lot of responsibility! What, in your opinion, makes successful leader?
I went to a leadership academy when I was in high school, and I really liked the way he put it: “A successful leader has moved on from wanting to be the one believing in Santa to wanting to be Santa and bring the magic.” In my opinion, a leader isn’t someone who goes into the position looking for power. A successful leader is one who wants to be responsible for helping her group/organization/team do well. Most of the time this means that the hard responsibilities fall on the person in the leadership position, and the majority of the members of your organization don’t realize all the work this involves. An unsuccessful leader wants immediate personal gratification. A successful leader wants to be successful for the future of his/her organization. 

Why did you join Greek life?
I had a rough end to my freshman year that left me feeling very alone and depressed. My roommate at the time was a Tri Sigma and she’d been prodding me to go to the informal party for a while. I never really considered going Greek, but I made a split decision a few days before the party. As soon as I walked in the door with my Kavu backpack , I knew I didn’t need to go anywhere else. It was the first time I felt welcomed and wanted in months. The girls I met genuinely liked me and wanted to hear what I had to say – I know now that it’s kind of their job at recruitment to get to know me, but it was life changing for my 19-year-old self. The recruitment director at the time called me that Friday night (a few hours after the party) and told me I got a bid. I actually still have that voicemail on my phone lol. I was going home that weekend and I screamed about it when I got home because I was so excited. I just knew if I belonged anywhere, it was with my Delta Pi chapter. 

What else are you involved in? 
As a senior Elementary Education major, I’ve started my Internship I at Harold C. Johnson Elementary School in York.  I can’t mention any of my kids’ names, but they’re the spunkiest 4th graders I’ve ever met. I’m at my internship every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (18 hours a week at minimum), and I take 15 additional hours of classes.Throughout my entirety in college, I’ve worked for the York Comprehensive High School Marching Band. On a normal week, I’d go to work Thursday nights, Friday nights for football games, and spend about 12 hours at a competition.  I’m not really sure how I’ve managed to make it this far with Winthrop classes, Internship, work, and an officer position… but here I am!

How does it feel to be a senior in college? Are you nervous? Excited?
IT’S ABOUT TIME! I know a lot of people are anxious about graduating college because they don’t want to get out into the real world, but I can’t wait. I want to be in my own classroom with my degree displayed on my wall with all my cute teacher clothes and books. I can’t wait to live in my own house and a dog and a regular paycheck and meals other than pasta and PB&J sandwiches. I just can’t wait. 

Tell us some of your favorite memories of your college experience so far.
a. Getting my little sister in my sorority, Alina Abedin
b. Snow Weeks
c. Tri Sigma Semi-Formal/Formals
Why did you choose Winthrop University?
I always knew I wanted to be a teacher and (at the time) I wanted to be far enough away from my parents so they couldn’t pop up every weekend. Winthrop seemed like the only option for me, plus I (still!!!)  have hefty scholarships. I actually didn’t apply anywhere else. I accepted my offer in December my senior year of high school. I’m a pretty planned person – once I decide to do something, I’m doing it and there aren’t any options. I don’t think I would go anywhere else if I could choose again, but I now I do wish I got to see my parents more often.

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
On my way to becoming a Superintendent. I think I could definitely be a principal by the time I’m 30, but I want to make a difference in the upper levels of education. Dr. Whitaker, Superintendent, just has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

You can only eat one food for the rest of your life. What is it?
Anything Mexican. I really can’t decide, but maybe it’s just because I’m craving El Cancun. 

If you had to name your firstborn child after a Winthrop building, which one would you pick?
If I ever happen to have a child, I think it’s a toss up between Byrnes and Tillman. Byrnes because I have a lot of good memories from Byrnes, and Tillman because it just sounds cute. 

We’ve heard some rumors that you are secretly Beyonce. Is this true?
a. Serious answer: I like to think of Beyoncé as a goddess who is completely confident in who she is and what she has to offer. Clearly I don’t look like her, but she’s one of my favorite people to model myself after when I need some self-confidence.
b. Better Answer: Well, you’ve probably never seen Beyonce and me at the same time… so I’ll leave that up to you. 
What’s one quote you live by?
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” – Shakespeare

Which movie will you watch over and over?
The Little Mermaid. I really have no explanation. I watched it daily when I was young and I basically have the whole movie memorized. I’m currently looking for a school that lets me major in being a mermaid. 

What is something you wish someone would have told you when you started college?
a. You can miss college classes without really getting penalized, unless you’re an education major. 
b. Everyone deserves a day off, and it’s okay to take one every once in a while. Just make sure your day off doesn’t happen weekly. 
c. Don’t waste your time on people who don’t truly care about you. 
d. Love yourself before you love anyone else.
e. A person who truly loves you will appreciate and accept your faults. A person who blames you or makes you feel bad for making your choices is not a friend. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.