This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Four years ago, there was a good chance that if you asked me the difference between setting powder and finishing powder, I wouldn’t know the difference. (I actually still don’t know). Point is, makeup was never one of my areas of expertise. I only ever wore it for special occasions like for my high school graduation or a formal event. Other than that, the only makeup I wore was mascara and a good gloss. But, I always admired the girls who wore it and wondered how they were so good at it.

I remember my first attempt at trying to put on makeup being a complete disaster. My face ended up looking ghostly and gray to my disappointment. It wasn’t until now, my sophomore year of college, that I decided that I wanted to do something different: wear makeup. Now, I can say that my makeup skills have improved tremendously. I attribute most of my skills to TikTok and Instagram, but I think somewhere along the way I acquired a natural talent for it. The makeup routine I have now is just for an everyday natural look, but I think with more practice I can get to the everyday glam look.

With any skill, you have to start with the basics. If you’re someone struggling to get into makeup, then this is the article for you. I hope that you take away some tips to improve your makeup looks or even if you choose not to wear makeup, you can gain an appreciation for the process girls who wear makeup go through.

1. Know your skin type

Knowing your skin type is the most important part of your makeup routine. It determines which products to buy and how your makeup will come out looking like. Personally, I have combination/oily skin so I pick products that are specifically designed for my skin type. If you too have combination, oily, or even dry skin, I recommend CeraVe moisturizers or Nivea face cream. Both products do a great job at controlling facial oil all while moisturizing skin in the process.

As far as primer and foundation, I’ve been using MAC Studio Radiance Primer and Foundation. It was recommended to me by an actual makeup artist and though they are a bit pricey, there are definitely worth it. I really like that MAC has a nice range of shades for darker-skinned people because it’s difficult for many people with darker skin tones to find good foundations.

2. A little goes a long way

Now, you might be tempted to slather on primer and foundation, but that only ends up making your makeup look cakey. For primer, you only want to use around a pea sized amount and add more as needed. Same for foundation; you want to use about 2 dots for your forehead, cheeks, and chin. Then, add more foundation if you need more coverage. The key is to work in layers that way the makeup can settle into your skin and have a more natural finish.

3. Let your products sit

Makeup is time consuming for a reason: you have to let your products sit. After applying moisturizer and sunscreen, you should let it sit for about five minutes so your makeup doesn’t slide during the day. You should wait a minute or two after applying primer and then a few minutes for foundation. Lastly, concealer should sit for about five or so minutes so it blends out properly.

4. Applying concealer

Although many videos are made applying concealer in the shape of a triangle under your eyes, a makeup artist actually told me that you should apply under the eyes in the shape of a “u” almost. Then, add a small amount under your eye wing area. That way when you blend everything out, your face will look lifted.

5. Different brushes and sponges for different uses

Again, it might be tempting to use the same sponge for foundation and for concealer, but it can ruin your makeup. Usually, I have a brush and sponge used for each of the products accordingly. There are also brushes for the other products you may use like blush, contour, eyeshadow, etc…

6. Setting spray

Finally, find a good setting spray based on your skin type. Elf and Nyx cosmetics are both great brands as far as makeup products. I am currently using Elf’s matte finish setting spray and it works wonders. It helps my makeup stay in place and when I need to touch it up during the day. Another tip: when you spray your setting spray, use a sponge to gently pat the mist into your skin.

The best tip I can give you is to look up makeup tutorials and tips from other makeup artists. There are tons of other tips I’ve learned just from scouring Pinterest. Just like any artist, you have to learn from somewhere and use references to improve your own art.

Kyla Hutchinson

Winthrop '25

I'm a Freshman at Winthrop and I am a Writing Major. I aspire to become a writer and create numerous short stories, poems, etc…