Style > Beauty

It’s Spring Time! How Can You Tame Your Curls?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

From braids to corn rows and from twists to locs, us black women are known for our diverse hair that change like the seasons. Being the most complex hair type, there are so many ways to style black curls. However, being the most fragile hair type, it makes it difficult to embrace it in its natural state, especially during the warmer seasons. As the spring time approaches, you might want to ditch your faux locs for curls, but worry that you’ll end up looking like a literal “hot” mess. Not to fear, my beautiful queens, because I’m going to tell you three ways you can rock your curls this Spring semester!

1. Pineapple Puff

This is a go-to method for any black girl on the go who doesn’t have the time for twist outs or braids outs. First, you usually wet your hair and apply some kind of curling cream or custard to define your curls. Then, you apply gel to your edges and brush your hair into a pony tail. If your hair doesn’t have enough volume, use another hair tie and place it in the middle of your pony tail. Spread the hair apart at the top and tease it so it looks more voluminous. Is your hair not long enough? That’s okay! You can easily use a long, black hair tie and place it around your head kind of like a headband. Then, push it up so that it resembles a wide pineapple puff. You might have to make a knot from the excess amount of hair tie to make it tighter. (But not too tight or you might get a headache!). The best part about this hairstyle is that you can wear a headband or a scarf and style it with almost any outfit.

2. Twists

I have to say that this is one of my favorite protective styles because it’s simple and you can wear so many hairstyles with this. Also, it’s great for any hair length and hair type! Twists are a bit more complicated than the pineapple puff, but it’s easy once you get the hang of it! The first thing you do is part (or section) your hair into whatever shape you like. Most people use boxes, but triangles are cute if you want to try something different. After sectioning you hair, you take a section, however big it is, and split it into two. You apply a bit of cream custard and or gel on each strand, then literally twist the strands together. Make sure that the twists are tight and if you want to be fancy, add a little curl at the end by twirling your finger around the end strand.

3. Bantu Knots

Most people don’t wear Bantu Knots because they believe that the hairstyle isn’t very trendy, but I think anyone can pull it off. If done correctly, you’ll have beautiful spiral cones on your head and, when you eventually take them out, the perfect curls. Usually, you would section your hair into medium-larger sections because bantu knots are usually on the larger size, but it depends on how big you want them. After parting your hair, take a section and apply gel or cream to your hair and comb it out. With any hairstyle, it is very important to comb out your hair because if you leave knots in your sections, your hairstyle will look frizzy and taking them out will be a pain. When your section is smooth and ready to go, you’ll use one hand to hold down the “base” of the knot and the other hand to wrap the hair strand around. When you’re done, you’ll simply stuck the strand under the newly formed knot or add a rubber band to keep it secured.

Of course, there are hundreds of other natural protective hairstyles that I didn’t include in this article that are just as helpful for taming our wild curls. I’m sure that these three hairstyles are some that most of you already know about or have worn before. However, what’s the harm in reminding you of hairstyles that could help you to embrace your curls? In Spring, flowers bloom and so can your curls if you allow them too!

Kyla Hutchinson

Winthrop '25

I'm a Freshman at Winthrop and I am a Writing Major. I aspire to become a writer and create numerous short stories, poems, etc…