Style > Beauty

How I Take Care of My Skin – Face AND Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

One of my New Year resolutions was to take better care of my skin overall. Over the last few months of sticking to this, I have noticed a difference in not only my skin, but my wellbeing in general. Here is what I do and the products I used that have helped me get to this point!

A.M. Skincare

In the morning, it is nice to start with icing your face for a few minutes. Whether you have that TikTok ice roller or just use an actual piece of ice (which is what I do), it all works the same. This is such a simple and effective trick! I then like to wash my face with the regular Cetaphil daily cleanser with still-cold skin from the ice, using a face cleansing brush to wash it. I prefer the brush over my fingers because it can get into those spots and crevasses that your hands may not be able to effectively get. It is important to PAT dry your face with a clean towel – not rub it. Then, I use some Cetaphil under-eye cream, Sun Bum sunscreen stick (the only face sunscreen that hasn’t made me break out), Cetaphil daily moisturizer, and lip balm. My favorites are Vaseline and Burt’s Bees. Another step that I occasionally use, especially for the spring and summer, is to use Dove Intensive Cream on my elbows – it makes them so soft.

P.M. Skincare

In my nightly shower, there are a couple of products I like to use along with my regular body wash. I am a sucker for exfoliating, and recently just started using Tree Hut’s Coco Colada exfoliator – and I absolutely love it. I also LOVE the Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion, which I use after shaving my legs – a holy grail. I also pat dry with my towel when I get out of the shower – never rub!

*One more towel tip: use a microfiber towel for your hair instead of a regular one!

After my shower, I get straight to my nighttime skincare routine. If I do not put on my Nivea lotion in the shower, I put on some Tree Hut lotion. I also like to use the Burt’s Bees foot cream. As far as my face, I start by spritzing it with the Thayer’s Witch Hazel Toner, which I just started using and have already noticed a difference in my skin each morning when I wake up. I then put some Forlash serum on my upper lashes (occasionally my lower lashes too), and then some CeraVe Restoring Night Cream. I finish my night routine with an overnight lip mask, either Burt’s Bees or Heroes. I also like to use Dove deodorant, more recently getting into the antiperspirant spray rather than the stick deodorant.

One more thing that I like to do before I go to bed is spray some pillow mist to help me relax. I also really want to get into using silk pillowcases because I know they have such good impacts on your skin and hair.

The best advice that I can offer is to be consistent with your skin. Learn what your skin type is, and what products work best for you, and stay consistent with the routines you set in place. It’s important to remember that you do not need to spend a lot of money on luxury skincare products to see results and that a little goes a long way!

Emma Oresic

Winthrop '24

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Oresic and I am a junior Elementary Education major at WU. Some of my favorite pastimes are painting, watching Netflix, and reading and writing.